April 02, 2017 (Oudenaarde, BEL) – Coryn Rivera (USA) Team Sunweb made history as the first North American to win the Women’s Tour of Flanders, 153.3km, that was launched in 2016. Rivera won the final bunch sprint over Gracie Elvin (Aus) Orica – Scott in second and Chantal Blaak (Ned) Boels – Dolmans Cycling Team in third. Canada’s Leah Kirchmann finished 69th helping her teammate to victory.
A 4-rider break with heavy hitters Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle High5, Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) Orica – Scott, Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) WM3 Pro Cycling and Anna Van Der Breggen (Ned) Boels Dolmans Cyclingteam were caught with strong efforts by Ellen van Dijk (Ned) Team Sunweb at 1km to go setting up the final bunch sprint.
“Here we showed our intentions to make it a hard race and when the first bunch of 30 exploded on the Kruisberg, we were up there but we couldn’t follow on the climb. The team gave everything on the Kwaremont to get the group back at the wheel and we almost closed it, but in the end we couldn’t follow the four best climbers.
“From the moment that Hans [Timmermans] made the call to go full gas for me, Ellen took charge of the pace. The sprint was absolutely thrilling, but I still feel like I am dreaming,” she concluded.
1. Coryn Rivera (USA) Team Sunweb 4:02:38
2. Gracie Elvin (Aus) Orica – Scott
3. Chantal Blaak (Ned) Boels – Dolmans Cycling Team
4. Annemiek van Vleuten (Ned) Orica – Scott
5. Lotte Kopecky (Bel) Lotto Soudal Ladies
6. Elena Cecchini (Ita) Canyon SRAM Racing
7. Rasa Leleivyte (Lit) Aromitalia Vaiano
8. Katarzyna Niewiadoma (Pol) WM3 Energie
9. Janneke Ensing (Ned) Alé Cipollini
10. Elisa Longo Borghini (Ita) Wiggle High5
69. Leah Kirchmann (Can) Team Sunweb 7:25
78. Joelle Numainville (Can) Cylance Pro Cycling
DNF Alison Jackson (Can) BePink Cogeas