October 04, 2011 (Toronto, ON) – Wheels of Bloor is offering a cycling bursary of $1,000 for 2011 to help a young rider in the GTA. The award is to provide financial assistance to help a male or female GTA road racing cyclist with the costs they incur as a result of participating in the sport in pursuit of cycling greatness.
Why are we doing this?
The Wheels of Bloor cycling team wants to give back to the cycling community by helping out a young GTA road cyclist. The majority of our team members are GTA-based Masters road racers, who have decided to donate prize money to the sport we love. It is our hope that other Masters racing teams join us in giving back to younger riders.
Who is eligible for the bursary?
The eligibility requirements are as follows:
– Must be under 23 years of age for the 2012 racing season (according to UCI criteria)
– Must be a resident of the Greater Toronto Area
– Must be an OCA (Ontario Cycling Association) member
– Provide a reference; such as a coach or team manager
What are the selection criteria?
In making our decision, we will be considering the following information:
– The number of road races you took part in during the 2011 season and the results of those races
– How much travel was required to participate in those races and how much travel do you anticipate in the 2012 season
– Your goals for the 2012 season, including your plans to achieve them
– Full-time school attendance during the 2011-2012 school year
– Input from your coaches, team managers and mentors
How do I apply?
To apply please send an email, to the address below, demonstrating that you meet the eligibility criteria and your response to the selection criteria. It is not our intention to place an undue burden on the applicants, so please do not feel the need to provide lengthy responses.
Please send your application via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
What are the deadlines?
– October 31st, 2011: The Wheels of Bloor cycling team is accepting applications for a $1,000 award up to Oct. 31st at midnight EDT via email.
– November 15th, 2011: The award winner will be notified by Nov 15th and the $1,000 check will be handed out at the Wheels of Bloor store at 2007 Bloor Street West as soon as the winner is available to come down to the store and pick it up. At that time photographs may be taken and an announcement made on Canadian websites that cover road cycling.