February 3, 2009 – Commonwealth Games Canada (CGC) is seeking applications from qualified, bilingual communications professionals interested in a truly unique opportunity as Team Leader, Communications and Media Relations for Team Canada at the 2010 Commonwealth Games in Delhi, India. The Games will take place from October 3-14, 2010.
Application Deadline: February 8, 2009
The successful candidate will play a key role in all communications-related activities and will sit on the Games Management Team, reporting to Scott Stevenson, CGC Director of Sport, and Martha Deacon, Chef de Mission for Delhi 2010. The Games Management Team will oversee strategic and operational planning as well as model the Team Canada vision, assist in Mission Staff selection, and support athletes, coaches, team managers and technical officials before, during, and after the Games.
The Team Leader – Communications and Media Relations will be responsible for ensuring a range of services including strategic analysis and advice, issue and crisis management, and management of the volunteer Communications Team.
Applicants for this volunteer position must have a passion for sport and must be able to demonstrate a proven track record of success in a Major Games environment. Knowledge of the Commonwealth Games and existing relationships with key internal and external stakeholders will be a significant asset. The successful candidate will be an energetic, highly resourceful problem solver with a spirit of adventure and a powerful desire to contribute to the success of Canadian athletes, coaches, and volunteers.
Core responsibilities of the Team Leader – Communications and Media Relations include:
– Conceiving and implementing a robust communications strategy that complements CGC’s strategic plan, aligns with the work of the Commonwealth Games Foundation of Canada, and provides maximum support to Team Canada;
– Ensuring consistent messaging that reinforces the CGC brand and enhances the organization’s reputation domestically and internationally;
– Strengthening relationships with current Games partners and stakeholders and, where appropriate, establishing new partnerships that offer additional support to Team Canada in 2010;
– Overseeing all aspects of the selection and management of volunteers for the Communications Team;
– Optimizing effective communication amongst all members of the Canadian Team and with CGC staff; and,
– Generating extensive, balanced media coverage before, during, and after the Delhi Games.
Applicants are asked to submit a resume highlighting relevant professional and volunteer experience, along with a one page covering letter describing the reasons why he or she is well-suited for the position. Short-listed applicants will undergo a formal interview process and will be asked to provide three references.
Type of Position: Volunteer
Commonwealth Games Canada (CGC)
120-2255 St-Laurent Blvd
Ottawa , ON, Canada, K1G 4K3
Tel. Tel: 613-244-6868 x
Fax. Fax: 613-244-6826
www.commonwealthgames.ca or www.jeuxcommonwealthgames.ca