May 29, 2014 (Victoria, BC) – The streets of Greater Victoria will be renamed “Coronation” as six Provincial Champions will be crowned during the BC Road Cycling Championships as part of the Robert W. Cameron Law Cycling Series, May 30 – June 1, 2014.
“Greater Victoria is certainly a Crowning jewel,” says title sponsor and former national cyclist Robert Cameron. “Holding three provincial championships pays tribute not only to a great place to host such prestigious events but to the entire cycling community here. And for Victoria residents and tourists, they get a free, front-row seat to all of the exciting action this weekend.”
“Robert Bettauer, PISE CEO (presenting sponsor) agrees. “Greater Victoria has been a hotbed for high performance athletes – but it’s also the training ground for up and comers such as Alexandra Grant, Brenna Pauly, Chris MacLeod, Holly Simonson and Jordan Landolt. From the Tim Hortons Timbit kids who for many are getting their first taste of cycling and may well be our next generation of stars to the masters competitors who are challenging for the BC title, this series really celebrates sport and active living.”
“As a former national rider, I know what it means to have a “home field” advantage,” Cameron adds. “Last year alone, we had break-out performances from Curtis Dearden, Anika Todd and Megan Rathwell – the first two were gold and silver medalists respectively at the 2013 Canadian National Time Trial Championships and Megan is our defending BC Road Race Champion.”
The 2014 Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series is the 3rd event of a new high-level competitive road cycling circuit called the BC Premier Road Series. This brings competitive cycling in BC to another level – providing BC’s talented and top riders an opportunity to compete in and win a prestigious provincial tour. The 2014 BC Premier Road Series consists of five popular events: the DEVO Spring Series Classic Stage Race, March 29-30, Race the Ridge, April 26-27, Robert Cameron Law Cycling Series, May 30-June 1, UBC Grand Prix on July 8, and the Tour de White Rock Criterium on July 12.
Robert W. Cameron Cycling Series Events Include:
· Hotel Zed Dallas Road Time Trial – May 30, (6 pm) start and finish at Clover Point
· Accent Inns Cycling Classic – BC Road Elite/Masters Road Cycling Championships – May 31 (starting at 7:30 a.m. to about approximately 1:30 p.m.) at Liberty Road in Metchosin
· 22nd Annual Russ Hay’s/Accent Inns Bastion Square Grand Prix – BC Criterium Cycling Championships – June 1 (starting at 8 a.m. with the last race, the men’s elite, starting at 1 pm)
· Tim Hortons Timbits Challenge – June 1, (starting at 11 a.m. at Bastion Square, free event for kids aged 3 to 10)
· GAIN Celebrity Bike Relay – June 1, inaugural celebrity race held before the elite races.
For More Information: www.victoria-cycling.com