September 25, 2013 (Mansfield, ON) – It was wet. But not wet enough not douse the enthusiasm and energy of the student athletes at the 2 day annual U-Cup event at Mansfield Outdoor. Teams from across the province converged at the beautiful Mansfield Outdoor Centre to race.
The two-day event consisted of a crit and time-trial on Saturday, followed by a cross country race on Sunday. Camping, group pasta dinner and bonfires. This year two special very large all-weather tents were supplied by team Queen’s and riders from all schools were invited to stay dry with them. It was a lot of fun and great team and friendship building. Three cheers for Queen’s!
In terms of the podium, it was Queen’s and the University of Guelph who took most of the hardware, but Elyse Nieuwold from McMaster University was not going to see the two school sweep and shared the gold medal in the woman’s “A” Division. Likewise, the positive Katlyn Dundas from Brock University raced hard to a bronze medal in the same division for her weekend performances.
Next University Cup race is Sunday September 29 at Albion Hills. New racers are welcome. Registration starts at 9:30 am. “A” race at 11am, “B” race at 1pm. New racers welcome
MEN’S “A” (Expert) Division
1. Etienne Moreau (Queen’s University)
2. Alex Schmidt (University of Guelph)
3. William Clarke (University of Guelph)
WOMAN’S “A” (Expert) Division
1. (tie) Victoria Giangrande (Queen’s University)
1. (tie) Elyse Nieuwold (McMaster University)
3. Katlyn Dundas (Brock University)
MEN’S “B” (Sport) Division
1. Daniel O’Keefe (University of Guelph)
2. Quinn Robertson (Queen’s University)
3. Lucas Parsons (University of Guelph)
WOMAN’S “B” (Sport) Division
1. Andrea Burley (Queen’s University)
2. Nichola Bendle (Queen’s University)
3. Leslie Dart (University of Guelph)
All registered students from College and University may participate.
Registration takes place day-of at the event.
Registration starts at 9:30 am. “A” race at 11am, “B” race at 1pm.
New racers welcome.
Next Race: U-Cup Race #3 – Albion Hills, Caledon ON
More info here.