August 11, 2013 (Mont-Ste-Anne, QC) – Canada’s Steve Smith (Devinci Global Racing) pulled out all the stops to claim his second World Cup victory with an incredible historic run on home soil that saw him edge out World Cup leader Gee Atherton (Gbr) GT Factory Racing by less than a second.
An abrupt heavy rain shower threatened the final 15 riders but with six to go it stopped as suddenly as it started, and even the sun came out as the final two riders Danny Hart (Gbr) Giant Factory Off-Road Team and fastest qualifier Smith were left.
Hart could only manage 6th but Smith was up to the task on the slippery course laying down a stellar run for the win to delight of screeming fans for a story-book end to the weekend at fabled Mont-Ste-Anne where Smith won silver in 201o at the MTB Worlds here – now he’s got gold as well.
1. Steve Smith (Can) Devinci Global Racing 03:58.485
2. Gee Atherton (Gbr) GT Factory Racing 0.904
3. Samuel Hill (Aus) Chain Reaction Cycles.Com / Nukeproof 2.118
4. Greg Minnaar (RSA) Santa Cruz Syndicate 2.167
5. Aaron Gwin (USA) Specialized Racing DH 3.123
6. Danny Hart (Gbr) Giant Factory Off-Road Team 3.772
7. Brendan Fairclough (Gbr) GSTAAD-Scott 4.484
8. Andrew Neethling (RSA) Giant Factory Off-Road Team 4.499
9. Florent Payet (Fra) Evil CK Racing Evian 4.602
10. Marc Beaumont (Gbr) GT Factory Racing 4.827