January 31, 2013 (Louisville, Kentucky) – The 2013 UCI Masters World Championships finals are underway in Louisville and Canada had a great start at the morning competitions as Peter Lawrence (Soul Sportif Racing) scored silver in the Men’s 50-54 race (7.8km), with Robert Orange (Ride with Rendall) finishing 6th and Bob Bergman (Sharon McCrindle) in 30th.
In the Men’s 65-69 race, 7.8 km over 3 laps, Robin Willard (Can) Oak Bay Bikes took home the bronze behind winner Victor Barnett (Gbr) Welland Valley CC, with Rick Abbott (USA) in second.
In the 7.8km Men’s 70+ competition Arrowsmith Bikes’ Derek Steel finished 4th as James Wagner (USA) Bike Masters-WA took the gold over John Ginley (Gbr) Condor Road Club in second with Joe Saling (USA) Somerset Wheelmen in third.
Sandra Deegan (Novofit 360 Compass Racing) was the top Canuck in 8th in the 35min Women’s 45-49 race won by Antonia Leal (USA) Planet Bike.
In the Men’s 55-59 race it was Colin Funk (First Capital Cycling Kingston) in 8th topping the Canucks followed by William Wellsman (Can) Pro City Racing in 18th and Gilles Cordier (Can) Kunstadt Sports Cycling in 43rd.
1. Antonia Leal (USA) Planet Bike 30:36
2. Shannon Gibson (USA) Stans Notubes Elite Womens Team 31:44
3. Geraldine Schulze (USA) Bio Wheels Racing 31:55
1. Stephen Tilford (USA) TradeWind Energy Cycling Team 31:58
2. Peter Lawrence (Can) Soul Sportif Racing 33:25
3. Gunnar Shogren (USA) Backyard Bike Club 34:356. Robert Orange (Can) Ride with Rendall 35:23
1. Henry Kramer (USA) California Giant Berry Farms/Sp 37:43
2. Randy Shields (USA) Hearts Racing Club 37:47
3. Thomas Hayles (USA) Ind 38:09
1. James Wagner (USA) Bike Masters-WA 42:52
2. John Ginley (Gbr) Condor Road Club 45:36
3. Joe Saling (USA) Somerset Wheelmen 49:46
4. Derek Steel (Can) Arrowsmith Bikes – 1 lap