September 22, 2011 (Aigle, Switzerland) – The International Cycling Union’s Management Committee met today in Copenhagen, Denmark during the 2011 UCI Road World Championships. During its third annual meeting, the UCI Management Committee awarded the 2015 UCI Road World Championships to Richmond, Virginia (USA).
The UCI President, Mr. Pat McQuaid, welcomed the decision “which is part of the globalisation process in cycling and which will allow the American continent, where our sport is enjoying an impressive development, to once again host the most important event of the UCI calendar, twelve years after the Canadian edition in the town of Hamilton.”
The UCI Road World Championships had been held previously in the United States in 1986 in Colorado Springs.
The UCI Management Committee also awarded the following events:
– 2012 World Championships “UCI World Cycling Tour Final”: Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
– 2014 UCI Juniors Track Cycling World Championships: Seoul, Korea
– 2014 UCI Road World Championships: Ponferrada, Spain
The UCI Management Committee also ratified the 2012 calendars for MTB, BMX Supercross UCI, Trials, Indoor Cycling, Paracycling and UWCT which will be available on-line at www.uci.ch.
Further the UCI Management Committee acknowledged the 2012 UCI WorldTour calendar, as approved by the Professional Cycling Council the previous day. As 2012 is an Olympic year the following changes have exceptionally been made, further to the requests of the respective organizers:
– Tour de Pologne: July 10 – 16
– Clasica San Sebastian: August 14
Further, the Tour of Beijing will be raced on the October 10-14, and the Giro di Lombardia on October 20.
The UCI Management Committee endorsed the composition of the Athletes’ Commission, further to a decision taken in 2010 to create this body. The Members have been either elected by a voting process organized within the ranks of racers from different disciplines or appointed by the UCI, as follows:
UCI Athletes’ Commission
– Florian Rousseau (FRA/appointed) – President
Men’s Road Representatives
– Dario Cioni (ITA/appointed)
– Cadel Evans (AUS/elected)
– Philippe Gilbert (BEL/elected)
Women’s Road Representatives
– Judith Arndt (GER/ elected)
– Marianne Vos (NED/ elected)
– Anna Meares (AUS/ elected)
– Teun Mulder (NED/ elected)
– Georgia Gould (USA/ elected)
– Greg Minnaar (RSA/appointed)
– Vilma Rimsaite (LTU/appointed)
– Roger Rinderknecht (SUI/appointed)
– Sven Nys (BEL/appointed)
– Jiri Jezek (CZE/ elected)
– Lukas Weber (SUI/appointed)
Finally, the UCI Management Committee has named two new Commission Presidents: Mr Brian Cookson (GBR), who was until now President of the UCI Cyclo-cross Commission, has been elected to preside the UCI Road Commission. Mr Marian Stetina (CZE) replaces him as UCI Cyclo-cross Commission President.