June 18, 2005 – German Linus Gerdemann (CSC) jumped away from a late break with seven kilometers to go to win yesterday’s 7th stage of the Tour of Switzerland, 193 km from Einsiedeln to Lenk. Race leader Michael Rogers (Quickstep) had a controlled day in the pack and maintains his 20-second overall lead on Jan Ullrich (T-Mobile).
Gerdemann jumped away from the remnants of an early break with seven kilomtres left in the stage, and a late attempt to counter by Lorenzo Bernucci (Fassa) came up just short. A tremendous stage win for the very young German (22), who many see as a future stage race star.
Canadian Mike Barry finished in the main pack, 23 seconds down, and remains in 27th overall, 6:09 down on Rogers.
Stage 7 Results:
1. Linus Gerdemann (Ger) Team CSC 4.25.00 (43.653 km/h)
2. Lorenzo Bernucci (Ita) Fassa Bortolo 0.04
3. David Etxebarria (Spa) Liberty Seguros-WÃ¼rth Team 0.14
4. Karsten Kroon (Ned) Rabobank 0.15
5. Fred Rodriguez (USA) Davitamon-Lotto
6. Martin Elmiger (Swi) Phonak Hearing Systems
7. Daniele Colli (Ita) Liquigas-Bianchi 0.23
8. Rene Haselbacher (Aut) Gerolsteiner
9. Baden Cooke (Aus) FranÃ§aise Des Jeux
10. Robbie McEwen (Aus) Davitamon-Lotto
47. Michael Barry (Can) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team s.t.
GC after Stage 7
1. Michael Rogers (Aus) Quick Step 25.54.03
2. Jan Ullrich (Ger) T-Mobile Team 0.20
3. Bradley McGee (Aus) FranÃ§aise Des Jeux 0.22
4. Fabian Jeker (Swi) Saunier Duval-Prodir 1.11
5. Frank Schleck (Lux) Team CSC 1.27
6. Chris Horner (USA) Saunier Duval-Prodir 1.31
7. Aitor Gonzalez (Spa) Euskaltel-Euskadi 1.38
8. Tadej Valjavec (Slo) Phonak Hearing Systems 1.39
9. Koldo Gil Perez (Spa) Liberty Seguros-WÃ¼rth Team 1.42
10. Beat Zberg (Swi) Gerolsteiner 1.57
27. Michael Barry (Can) Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team 6.09