May 14, 2010 (Gruissan, France) – TestTeam’s Regina Bruins took the victory in the Prologue of the 10-stage Tour de l’Aude in Gruissan, France and as a result is now the first leader of the Tour de l’Aude 2010. The rider from the Netherlands finished the 3.9 km Prologue in 4 minutes 48 seconds, just ahead of Linda Villumsen (NZL). Marianne Vos (NED), currently first in the UCI ranking, took the third spot just ahead of Cervélo TestTeam’s rider Emma Pooley (GBR).
“It was a very good result today,” said Egon Van Kessel, Sports Director of Cervélo TestTeam. “We had three riders in the top ten. These results were important and very good for our morale going into the rest of the Tour. I was not worried about Regina’s performance, I knew she could make it. Last year she was second here and this year she made it to the top. For tomorrow’s stage we will have to think a bit about our tactics. The Tour de l’Aude is long and we should not use to much energy at the beginning.”
Tomorrow will take the riders around Rieux Minervois. The 117km course includes slight uphill and downhill stretches.
1. Regina Bruins (Ned) Cervelo Testteam 04:48.5
2. Linda Melanie Villumsen (NZl) HTC Columbia Women 0:04
3. Marianne Vos (Ned) Nederland Bloeit 0:05
4. Emma Pooley (Gbr) Cervelo Testteam 0:07
5. Annemiek Van Vleuten (Ned) Nederland Bloeit 0:08
6. Evelyn Stevens (USA) HTC Columbia Women 0:09
7. Adrie Visser (Ned) HTC Columbia Women 0:09
8. Elizabeth Armitstead (Gbr) Cervelo Testteam 0:09
9. Hanka Kupfernagel (Ger) German National Team 0:11
10. Emma Johansson (Swe) Redsun Cycling Team 0:11
30. Julie Beveridge (Can) Vienne Futuroscope 0:22
63. Karol-Ann Canuel (Can) Vienne Futuroscope 0:33
65. Audrey Lemieux (Can) ESGL93-Gestion 0:35