May 07, 2013 (Edmonton, AB) – One Alberta cyclist will have a unique opportunity to race with some of the top cyclists in the world when cycling professionals descend upon the province to compete in the inaugural Tour of Alberta, September 3 – 8, 2013.
The Tour of Alberta organizers, the Alberta Peloton Association (APA), and Banff Lake Louise Tourism, are offering a unique opportunity to the highest placed Alberta winner, under 23 years of age, at this year’s Banff National Park Bike Fest to join the U.S. Continental cycling team SmartStop presented by Mountain Khakis in the Tour of Alberta this fall.
“At present, there are no Alberta residents who qualify to compete in the Tour of Alberta,” said Chair of the APA and the Tour of Alberta, Brian Jolly. “Through the Making the Tour program, we would like to change that, and at the same time, begin building a legacy of excellence in road racing in the province.”
“Bike Fest is just one of many world-class events that have been established in Banff National Park with proven records of success,” said Stu Back of Banff Lake Louise Tourism. “It stands as a testament to the park’s suitability as a place for both active adventure and low-impact pursuits for everyone to enjoy in a spectacular setting.”
The fact that the Making the Tour qualifier will be decided at the Banff National Park Bike Fest is recognition of the high calibre of this event as one that truly sets the standard for stage racing in Alberta.
The SmartStop-Mountain Khakis Team hails from North Carolina and is owned by Canadian Jamie Bennett, whose mother was born in Donalda, Alberta and raised in Red Deer. Bennett has strong ties to Alberta with extended family in Calgary and Edmonton, and takes annual ski trips to Banff and Lake Louise. He is leveraging the opportunity to compete in Canada to cultivate local Canadian talent as the ultimate tribute to his family’s Alberta roots.
To qualify for the Making the Tour program the individual must meet the following criteria:
– Must be a male with a 2013 racing age of 22 years old or younger, or U23 in the parlance of bike racing.
– Must live in the province of Alberta and have a racing license from the Alberta Bicycle Association (ABA), or an international license with an Alberta address. This license must have been obtained prior to May 3, 2013.
– Must participate in the Banff Bike Fest Stage Race for Category 1 & 2 Men.
– Must complete all stages within the time cut.
– The U23 Albertan with the lowest cumulative time (including time bonuses and penalties) in the Banff Stage Race final General Classification, shall be awarded the spot on team Smart Stop-Mountain Khakis for the 2013 Tour of Alberta.
– The winner will officially be added to the UCI roster of Smart Stop-Mountain Khakis as a stagiaire for the remainder of 2013. The rider will be required to follow all rules and guidelines of Smart Stop-Mountain Khakis including using only team authorized equipment and having no conflicting personal sponsors.
– The winner will have media obligations to the Tour of Alberta. These will be outlined prior to receiving the prize.
Should the winner turn down the prize or not be able to participate in the Tour of Alberta for medical or any other reason the prize will transfer to the qualified rider finishing next highest on GC at the Banff Bike Fest Stage Race. This transfer must happen before August 1, 2013, thus allowing time within UCI rules to add the new winner to the SmartStop-Mountain Khakis roster.
The 2013 Banff Lake Louise Bike Fest is schedule to be held June 13 to 16, 2013. More information on the event is available HERE.
Information on the SmartStop-Mountain Khakis professional cycling team is available HERE.