Featured Stories

TO2015 Velodrome – Hamilton Back in the Running?

by John Symon

December 30, 2011 (Hamilton, ON) – The bid is apparently still alive to have an indoor velodrome built in Hamilton for the Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan Am Games (TO2015). We previously reported that the bid was dead after city council capped their city’s financial contribution at $5 million while the TO2015 organizing committee was asking for a local contribution of $22 million toward the facility estimated to cost some $45 million – read more HERE.

While Hamilton supporters have been working behind the scenes a report in yesterday’s Hamilton Spectator quotes Gord Singleton as saying that a private corporation is willing to provide a major financial commitment to the project. Singleton, who joined the velodrome fundraising campaign last fall, together with Curt Harnett and Clara Hughes, was unwilling to reveal the name of the potential benefactor. He did mention that this would be, “a sizeable help if it comes through.”

Mayor Bob Bratina said that, “several million dollars is being talked about.” It is unclear how much of the $17 million gap (between what Hamilton is willing to pay and what TO2015 expects it to pay) might be covered by this gesture. He also says that Hamilton is still in the game to have the velodrome. Until yesterday, it seemed that the only community still interested in building the velodrome was Milton, ON.

Pedal contacted Singleton for more details, but he declined to comment further explaining that, “We need to wait until there is a formal announcement from the Mayor of Hamilton or the Hamilton Advisory committee.  I’m told that it [the announcement] will be soon after the holiday.”

Singleton is a familiar name to the cycling community. He became the first Canadian to win a World Championship (1982) and simultaneously once held world records in the 200 metres, 500 metres and 1000 metre events.

Read the Spectator article HERE.





Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.