August 28, 2011 (Ottawa, ON) -The Canadian Cycling Association is pleased to announce the six cyclists who have been named to the Canadian team participating at the 2011 Tour de l’Avenir, a stage race for U23 road cyclists held in France from September 4 to 11, 2011.
The 2011 Tour de l’Avenir is the sixth and final race of the UCI U23 Nations Cup tour. This 1201-kilometer race is held through seven stages, in addition to the opening prologue.
Amongst the Canadian group, three of the six riders are from Canada’s pro-continental team Team SpiderTech powered by C10, two from the Quebec-based team Garneau-Club Chaussure-Norton Rose, and one rider from Rocky Mountain-Desjardins Valeurs mobilières.
Notably, the line-up includes Hugo Houle, the 2011 Canadian Champion in both the Time Trials and the Road Race, as well as Guillaume Boivin, bronze medallist at the 2010 UCI Road World Championships in the U23 Road Race. Both riders are from Team SpiderTech powered by C10.
In the U23 Nations Cup standings, France is comfortably leading the world standings in first place with 90 points, a 22-point lead over second-place Italy. Canada is ranked 21st with nine points.
Team Canada – 2011 Tour de l’Avenir
– David BOILY (Québec, QC) [Team SpiderTech powered by C10]
– Guillaume BOIVIN (Longueuil, QC) [Team SpiderTech powered by C10]
– Antoine DUCHESNE (Chicoutimi, QC) [Garneau-Club Chaussures-Norton Rose]
– Hugo HOULE (Ste-Perpétue, QC) [Team SpiderTech powered by C10]
– Pierrick NAUD (Amos, QC) [Rocky Mountain – Desjardins Valeurs Mobilières]
– Jamie RIGGS (Manotick, ON) [Garneau-Club Chaussures-Norton Rose]