August 22, 2012 (Ottawa, ON) – Cycling Canada is pleased to announce the athletes who will represent Canada at the 2012 UCI Mountain Bike and Trial World Championships, in Austria, in both the downhill and cross-country competitions.
The event kicks off with the downhill event on Saturday September 1 with the official downhill timed session. The Championships races for all downhill categories are on Sunday, September 2. The downhill races are held in Leogang, Austria.
Canada will send 15 downhillers to the event. The team is headlined by Canada’s top-ranked rider Steve Smith (Cassidy, BC). Claire Buchar (Whistler, BC), who won a bronze medal at last year’s World Championships, will also be a top contender for Canada in the DH event. Canadian Champions Matt Beer (St. John’s, NL) and Casey Brown (Revelstoke, BC) will also be among the Canadian contingent racing for top honours.
The cross-country races will be held the following weekend, in Saalfelden, Austria. Canada will have a large and strong team making the trip across the pond.
On the women’s side, 2011 World Champion Catharine Pendrel (Kamloops, BC) leads the team and will be defending her title. Pendrel is joined by 2012 Olympian Emily Batty (Brooklyn, ON) and Marie-Hélène Prémont (Chateau Richer, QC). All three riders are expected to be among the top contenders in Saalfelden. Sandra Walter (Vancouver, BC) and Amanda Sin (Collingwood, ON) will also compete for Canada in the elite women’s race. Canada’s women’s team is currently the highest ranked team in the World.
The men’s team is led by Geoff Kabush (Courtenay, BC), who recently posted Canada’s best ever Olympic result in men’s mountain bike – finishing 8th. He will be joined by Derek Zandstra (Trenton, ON) who is fresh off a breakthrough victory at the USA Pro XCT. Raphael Gagné (Quebec, QC) and Cameron Jette (Toronton, ON) will also compete for Canada at the event.
2012 Olympian, Max Plaxton (Victoria, BC) has elected not to compete at this year’s championship due to injury. Downhill rider Rob Fraser (Pickering, ON) is also recovering from injury and will not attend this year’s event.
Canadian Team – 2012 UCI Mountain Bike And Trial World Championships
XCO Elite Men
– Raphael Gagné (Québec, QC)
– Cameron Jette (Toronto, ON)
– Geoff Kabush (Courtenay, BC)
– Derek Zandstra (Trent, ON)
XCO Elite Women
– Emily Batty (Brooklyn, ON)
– Catharine Pendrel (Kamloops, BC)
– Marie-Hélène Prémont (Chateau Richer, QC)
– Amanda Sin (Collingwood, ON)
– Sandra Walter (Vancouver, BC)
XCO U23 Men
– Mitch Bailey (Barrie, ON)
– Léandre Bouchard (Alma, QC)
– Antoine Caron (Stoneham, QC)
– Evan Guthrie (Peachland, BC)
– Jérémy Martin (Boischatel, QC)
XCO U23 Women
– Cayley Brooks (New Lowell, ON)
– Andréane Lanthier-Nadeau (Québec, QC)
– Andréanne Pichette (Québec, QC)
– Haley Smith (Uxbridge, ON)
XCO Junior Men
– Peter Disera (Barrie, ON)
– Marc-Antoine Nadon (Timmins, ON)
– Alexander Vialle (Prévost, QC)
XCO Junior Women
– Frédérique Larose-Gingras (Lac Beauport, QC)
– Rachel Pageau (Chicoutimi, QC)
– Frédérique Trudel (Breakyville, QC)
Elite Men DH
– Matt Beer (St. John’s, NL)
– Remi Gauvin (Nanoose Bay, BC)
– Kyle Sangers (Kingston, ON)
– Steve Smith (Cassidy, BC)
Elite Women DH
– Casey Brown (Revelstoke, BC)
– Claire Buchar (Whistler, BC)
– Micayla Gatto (North Vancouver, BC)
– Miranda Miller (Squamish, BC)
– Lauren Rosser (Squamish, BC)
Junior Men DH
– Hugo Langevin (Ste-Catherine, QC)
– Philippe Ricard (Bromont, QC)
– Forest Riesco (Gibsons, BC)
– Mckay Vezina (Newbury Park, Ca)
– Marc Wallace (Duncan, BC)
Junior Women DH
– Holly Feniak (Sunshine Coast, BC)
For further information regarding the 2012 Mountain Bike and Trial World Championships please consult www.uci.ch.