July 26, 2014 (Cantimpalos, Segovia, ESP) – The first set of road races took place today at the 2014 UCI Para-Cycling Road World Cup Finals in Spain, and Canada’s men tandem formed by Daniel Chalifour and Alexandre Cloutier tandem rode to a silver medal among a large peloton of 34 tandems in the category.
“We are very satisfied with the performance in the road race, especially since we were aiming for the TT, where we finished fourth just 19s off the top of the podium. The road race medal today is just the icing on the cake,” said pilot Alexandre Cloutier.
Canada’s Para-Cycling Program Director, Arnaud Litou, was pleased with the efforts of his troops today, who raced in grueling conditions. “The conditions were extremely difficult today, with temperatures hovering around 30deg Celsius in the morning, and a sun that was relentless. Canada posted some great performances within four weeks of the World Championships in Greenville, South Carolina.
The World Cup Finals end tomorrow with the remaining road races for the C, as well as a team relay race.
Results Road – Races – 2014 Uci Para-Cycling World Cup Finals
1. Lora Turnham / Corrine Hall (Great Britain) 2:15:48
2. Iwona Podkoscielna / Aleksandra Wnuczek (Poland) 1:02
3. Josefa Benitez Guzman / Judit Cort Masdeu (Spain) 1:18
8. Shawna Ryan / Audrey Lemieux (Canada) 3:45
1. Dana Alicia Brelsford (Usa) 1:07:16
2. Renata Kaluza (Poland) 3:59
3. Karen Darke (Great Britain) 4:18
8. Myriam Adam (Canada) 24:09
1. Ignacio Avila Rodriguez / Joan Font Bertoli (Spain) 2:25:09
2. Daniel Chalifour / Alexandre Cloutier (Canada) 0:05
3. Vladislav Janovjak / Robert Mitosinka (Slovakia) 0:09
12. Alexandre Carrier /Laflamme Aroussen (Canada) 3:03
1. William Groulx (Usa) 1:06:55
2. Luca Mazzone (Italy) 0:02
3. Christophe Hindricq (Belgium) 3:18
6. Robert Labbe (Canada) 11:26
1. Vittorio Podesta (Italy) 1:37:47
2. David Franek (France) 0:04
3. Heinz Frei (Switzerland) 0:16
9. Charles Moreau (Canada) 4:02
15. Alex Hyndman (Canada) 15:49
DNF Mark Beggs (Canada)