April 18, 2009 (Monterey, CA) – The Pro Short Track races were as exciting as anticipated today, on a very dusty and fast course that was punctuated by a tough grunt of a climb topped off by a sharp right-hand turn, followed by rough off-camber singletrack, and a series of chicanes with an uphill finish. Canada’s Emily Batty (Trek Store) won the women’s race with a very gutsy move at the end, which saw her dig deep and careen past an escaped Catharine Pendrel (Can) Luna, who ended up third. Lene Byberg (Swe) Specialized hung onto Batty’s wheel, but was unable to get around the charging young phenom and had to settle for second.
Melanie McQuaid (Can) Sho-Air/Specialized was the next Canadian, slipping into the top 10 with a ninth-place ride. Mical Dyck (Can) Trek Store/Toronto/Terrascape was 12th followed by Catharine Vipond (Can) Norco in 13th, Jean Ann McKirdy (Can) Local Ride in 16th, and Sandra Walter (Can) Local Ride in 26th, who was caught up in a crash at the start.
In the men’s race, Specialized ruled the day, with Burry Stander (RSA) Specialized doing much of the work at the front, along with Christoph Sauser (Sui) Specialized, who was forced to abandon due to a flat tire. The third of the Specialized posse, Todd Wells (USA) Specialized, surprised even himself when he pulled off the victory. Stander took second, while an aggressive Carl Decker (USA) Giant, unable to outfox the duo up front, finished up third.
Top Canuck was Seamus McGrath (Can) Jamis in ninth. Eric Batty (Can) Trek Store finished 19th, with teammate Adam Morka (Can) Trek Store right on his wheel on 20th. Matt Hadley (Can) Xprezo had a solid ride to finish 23rd, followed by Daniel Sessford (Can) Blue in 26th, Stefan Widmer (Can) Rocky Mountain 31st, Simon Happy (Can) RST Velo Sport 33rd, Craig Richey (Can) Blue 34th, Tom Skinner (Can) Specialized/Oak Bay 43rd, Marty Lazarski (Can) Rocky Mountain 45th, Chris Everist (Can) 3 Rox Racing 64th, and Peter Glassford (Can) Trek Store 67th.
Full women’s results pdf here.
Full men’s results pdf here.
1. Emily Batty (Can) Trek Store
2. Lene Byberg (Nor) Specialized
3. Catharine Pendrel (Can) Luna Women’s MTB Team
4. Heather Irmiger (USA) Subaru/Gary Fisher
5. Georgia Gould (USA) Luna Women’s MTB Team
9. Melanie McQuaid (Can) Sho-Air
12. Mical Dyck (Can) Trek Store/Toronto/Terrascape
13. Catharine Vipond (Can) Norco
16. Jean Ann McKirdy (Can) Local Ride
26. Sandra Walter (Can) Local Ride
1. Todd Wells (USA)
2. Burry Stander (RSA) Specialized
3. Carl Decker (USA) Giant
4. Jeremiah Bishop (USA) Monavie-Cannondale
5. Sam Schultz (USA) Subaru/Gary Fisher
9. Seamus McGrath (Can) Jamis