April 17, 2015 (Monterey, CA) – The 25th Subaru Sea Otter Classic kicked off fast and festive with a busy Thursday in the expo, an exciting day’s action out on the race tracks with a dark horse victory in the women’s criterium, and blistering action in the Enduro downhill stage race.
Sara Bergen (Trek Red Truck Racing), 26, a Category 2 rider from Vancouver, British Columbia, distinguished herself by distancing a field containing several pro riders to win the criterium by a solid 17 seconds on a revised course with a pan flat profile and more corners than last year. Australian pro Jason Lowndes, 20, won a bunch sprint for line honors in the Pro-1-2 men’s field.
The entire race was filled with carnage. There were crashes at almost every lap. On the last hairpin, I got caught behind a crash and I thought my race was over. Until the last 200 meters, the road was swamped with riders. I found a window on the left and dropped a watt bomb,” said the Australian rider.
The four-stage Enduro gravity mountain bike contest saw Josh Carlson, 29, of Vancouver, British Columbia, outclass a quality field to win with a combined time of 11 minutes, 21 seconds. Dutch star Anneke Beerten, 33, took a comfortable victory over the women’s field with 12:48.
With more female entrants than ever before racing at the event, a full day of women’s activities is scheduled for Friday – including several rides with current and former top pros, Sea Otter Yoga, Trials Stunt Shows, and the eBike Experience presented by Bosch, Day Two promises to keep things rolling toward the weekend.
1. Sara Bergen (Trek Red Truck Racing) 45:57
2. Maddy Boutet 0:17
3. Ana Teresa Casas Bonilla
6. Leah Guloien (Trek Red Truck Racing
10. Denise Ramsden (Trek Red Truck Racing)
13. Suzanne Hamilton
16. Sarah Coney (Trek Red Truck Racing)
18. Gillian Ellsay
1. Jason Lowndes (Garneau Quebecor) 57:50
2. Fabrizio Van Nacher (KHS – Maxxis-JL Velo)
3. Alex Darville (Airgas Safeway Cycling Team)
12. Jay Lamoureux
13. Adam De Vos (H&R Block)
15. Travis Samuel (H & R Block Pro Cycling Team)
22. Michael Van Den Ham (Trek Red Truck Racing)
23. Stuart Wight (H & R Block Pro Cycling Team)
26. Julien Gagne (Garneau–Quebecor)
27. Dylan Davies
28. Nic Hamilton (Red Truck Racing)
31. Marc Antoine Soucey (Garneau–Quebecor)
36. Felix Cote-Bouvette
37. Bailey McKnight (H & R Block Pro Cycling Team)
38. Nathan Elliott (H & R Block Pro Cycling Team)
51. Geordie Morrison
DNF Ryan MacDonald
DNF Trevor Strothard
Full results here.
1. Anneke Beerten 12:48
2. Teal Stetson-Lee 13:10
3. Kelli Emmett 13:17
11. Micayla Gatto 14:53
14. Jennifer McTavish 15:19
DNF Mical Dyck
1. Josh Carlon 11:21
2. Mitch Ropelato 11:26
3. Brian Lopes 11:29
Full results here.