April 7, 2006 (Monterey, CA) — The always cheerful Mary McConneloug (USA, Seven Cycles-Kenda), whose repertoire includes several World Cup podium results, hammered through the 3.2-kilometre time trial faster than any other woman today in the second stage of the Sea Otter Classic’s Pro MTB Stage Race. McConneloug turned on the heat to best even Gunn-Rita Dahle (NOR, Multivan-Merida), the current women’s MTB phenom. The powerful Alison Sydor (CAN, Rocky Mountain-Business Objects) finished third.
Other Canadian results include a strong finish from Wendy Simms (CAN, Velo Bella-Kona), who placed fourth. Kiara Bisaro (CAN, Team R.A.C.E.) was also in the top 10, with an 8th-place ride.
The short course demanded that racers leave everything on the track, as pure speed and power were key. Riders were confined to the area within Laguna Seca. The shorter, faster course was designed to keep General Classification times closer, as we head into the final two stages on Saturday and Sunday, making the race for best overall tighter and more exciting.
Results (3.2 km)
1. Mary McConneloug (USA, Seven Cycles-Kenda)
2. Gunn-Rita Dahle (NOR, Multivan-Merida)
3. Alison Sydor (CAN, Rocky Mountain-Business Objects)
4. Wendy Simms (CAN, Velo Bella-Kona)
5. Katerina Nash (USA, Luna Women’s Team)
6. Jimena Florit (USA, Luna Women’s Team)
7. Georgia Gloud (USA, Luna Women’s Team)
8. Kiara Bisaro (CAN, Team R.A.C.E.)
9. Sabine Spitz (GER, Specialized)
10. Heather Irmiger (USA, Subaru-Gary Fisher)
12. Melanie McQuaid (Can) Orbea 0:20
15. Mical Dyck (Can) Terrascape Racing 0:24
19. Catharine Pendrel (Can) Norco s.t.
28. Patricia Sinclair (Can) Scott Usa/Kenda 0:43
35. Christine Misseghers (Can) Mountain Bike City 0:55
45. Christy Love (Can) Sugoi/Giant s.t.