April 6, 2006 (Monterey, CA) — The Sea Otter Classic mountain bike stage race kicked off this morning with the women’s Super XC in an effort that lasted 60 minutes plus one lap. It was the virtually unbeatable Norwegian, Gunn-Rita Dahle (NOR, Multivan-Merida), hot off yet another World Cup victory, who ran away with the race, besting high-level riders like second place Alison Sydor (CAN, Rocky Mountain-Business Objects) and third place Georgia Gloud (USA, Luna Women’s Team).
Kiara Bisaro (CAN, Team R.A.C.E.) put on quite the chase, riding with Dahle for the first lap. Bisaro was unable to maintain the blistering pace, however, and had to settle for a respectable fifth on the muddy course. Several other Canadian women were on hand, including Mical Dyck (CAN, Terrascape Racing) in 16th, Wendy Simms (CAN, Velo Bella-Kona) in 19th, Catharine Pendrel (CAN, Norco) in 23rd and Trish Sinclair (CAN, Scott USA-Kenda) in 29th.
The first in the four-event MTB stage race, the Super XC, is unique to the Sea Otter Classic. Half-dirt, half-road, the eight-kilometre circuit started and finished at Laguna Seca raceway. The exciting course’s first climb was pavement to the top of the corkscrew, then riders exited back into the infield near the dual slalom and short track loops. After some dirt descents, climbs, and doubletrack, racers re-entered Laguna Seca Raceway for a long paved finishing stretch. Time bonuses were awarded to the top three finishers.
Results (60 minutes + 1 lap)
1. Gunn-Rita Dahle (NOR, Multivan-Merida)
2. Alison Sydor (CAN, Rocky Mountain-Business Objects)
3. Georgia Gloud (USA, Luna Women’s Team)
4. Heather Irminger (USA, Subaru-Gary Fisher)
5. Kiara Bisaro (CAN, Team R.A.C.E.)
6. Dara Marks Marino (USA, Titus-Kenda)
7. Katerina Nash (USA, Luna Women’s Team)
8. Jimena Florit (USA, Luna Women’s Team)
9. Mary McConneloug (USA, Seven Cycles-Kenda)
10. Sue Haywood (USA, Trek-VW)
16. Mical Dyck (CAN, Terrascape Racing)
19. Wendy Simms (CAN, Velo Bella-Kona)
23. Catharine Pendrel (CAN, Norco)
29. Trish Sinclair (CAN, Scott USA-Kenda)
38. Christine Misseghers (CAN, Mountain Bike City)
39. Melanie McQuaid (CAN, Orbea)
Full results available at: http://www.seaotterclassic.com/2006/results_list.htm#10