April 5, 2006 – Canada has several participants at Sea Otter 2006 this weekend. The MTB events will see Geoff Kabush (Maxxis) defend his title, against a strong field that is expected to be in attendance including Giant’s Bart Brentjens, Jose Hermida (Multivan Merida), and Liam Killeen (Specialized). Although Canuck Seamus McGrath (Felt) will not be racing, Kabush’s teammate Mat Toulouse will be on the start line.
In the women’s MTB field, strong contenders for the overall include Canada’s Alison Sydor (Rocky Mountain/Business Objects), Kiara Bisaro (Gearsracing.com) and Scott’s Trish Sinclair.
The women’s pro circuit road race will see several Canadians, including the on-form Laura Yoisten leading her Victory Brewing team. Watch out for Biovail’s Anne Samplonius as well. For the men Health Net’s Gord Fraser has not had a win yet this year so look for the wiley vet to be hungry for a big result in the men’s race on Saturday, on the tricky circuit that includes the classic cork-screw corner.
Sea Otter 2006 Schedule
– April 6, Thur. – MTB Stage #1 – Super XC – Pro Women (10-11a.m.); Pro Men (11:30a.m.-12:30p.m.)
– April 7, Fri. – MTB Stage #2 – TT – Pro Women (9:00a.m.); Pro Men (immediately after the women)
– April 8, Sat. – RD – NRC Circuit Race – Pro Women (9:00a.m.); Pro Men (1:00p.m.);
– April 8, Sat. – MTB Stage #3 – Short Track – Pro Men (12:30pm) Pro Women (1:15p.m.) heat 1; Pro Men (2:00p.m.) heat 2;
– April 8, Sat. – GRV Stage #1 – Pro Dual Slalom Finals (2:30-4:30p.m.)
– April 8, Sat. – SRAM Invitational Dirt Jump Contest (4:45pm)
– April 9, Sun. – GRV Stage #2 – Pro Downhill Finals (9:30a.m.)
– April 9, Sun. – MTB Stage #4 – Pro Men and Women (1:00p.m.) Cross Country;
– April 9, Sun. – GRV Stage #3 – Pro Mountain Cross Finals (1:30p.m.)
– April 9, Sun. – SRAM Dirt Jump Contest (immediately after Pro Mountain Cross Finals)