April 21, 2014 (Toronto, ON) – On Saturday, cyclists from across Toronto descended on the city’s iconic Ontario Place for the first ever Red Bull Race the Place, an urban bike race challenging competitors to a 3.7km long dash through the former amusement park. The event marked the first time that Ontario Place had been opened for a public event since shutting its doors in 2011.
Ranging from professional street-hardened messengers to weekend warriors, 200 racers put their skills to the test in one of two categories; fixed/track bike or open gear (100 racers per category). Each racer took to the track during individual qualifying rounds to set their times with the fastest 80 times across both categories moving into the mass start finals.
With sun shining and spring-like conditions, over 3,000 spectators stopped throughout the day to take in the action.
From a deep pack of riders, it was Stefan “Fish” Vis who emerged to claim first place in the fixed/track category in a near-photo finish with second place contestant Gregory Addo. Netting himself a $500 prize purse for the first place win Vis also recorded the fastest lap time of the day, earning himself a custom made Giant bicycle.
In the open category, Richard Machhein took first place while Linda Shinn took the win among the ladies, each earning a $500 prize purse.
1. Stefan “Fish” Vis (Laps: 11 Total Time: 1:09:04.296)
2. Gregory Addo (Laps: 11 Total Time: 1:09:14.642)
3. Marc Seguin (Laps: 11 Total Time: 1:11:30.717)
1. Richard Machhein (Laps: 11 Total Time: 1:09:04.394)
2. Jon Slaughter (Laps: 11 Total Time: 1:09:04.605)
3. Hugues Lapointe (Laps: 11 Total Time: 1:09:08.387)
1. Linda Shinn (Laps: 9 Total Time: 1:02:15.575)
2. Paula Manzano (Laps: 6 Total Time: 42:37.482)
3. Ioana Stanca (Laps: 5 Total Time: 36:50.477
Time trial qualifying results here.
Final full results here.