The first World Championships road races on Friday 11th October
– The World Championship's race for Ladies Juniors starts at 09.30 a.m. and will end about 11.30 a.m. The World Championship's race for Men Amateurs will start at 12.30 p.m. and will probably finish about 04.30 p.m.
– The start will be given at the Zolder Circuit. The track for all World Championship road races is 13.1 km long and the same for all categories: Zolder Circuit, Kerkstraat, Westlaan, Terlaemenlaan, Sint-Jobstraat, Galgeneinde, Regenbooglaan, Sterrenwacht and via the Herderspad towards the finish at the Zolder Circuit.
– The entrance price for the Friday races is 10 Gilders. The price of a ticket for access to the Friday, Saturday and Sunday races is 35 Gilders – available from one of the 14 entrance posts along the World Championships' track.
– On Friday 11th October, Hasselt and Heusden-Zolder habitants are entitled to free access on production of their ID card at the entrance.
Getting to the course
– by train/bus: At the Hasselt railroad station, you can take the normal bus connection that will take you to the start or finish zone. More information is available from: De Lijn: www.delijn.be or +32 (0)11850303, Belgian Railways: www.nmbs.be.
– by bike: There are three free cycle sheds: grasslands at Boekt next to the highway bridge (314 – Brussels- Aachen), Westlaan (industrial zone Zolder-Lummen, just before the canal bridge), parking lot of the football field next to the Bolderberg primary school.
– by the supporters' bus: during the World Championships on Friday, there is no parking lot reserved to busses. Every bus can park in the immediate vicinity of the track.
– by car: Take care: exit 27 (Terlaemen) E314 (Brussels-Aachen) is closed in both directions as of Monday 2002/10/07 until Sunday 2002/10/13! During the Time Trial World Championships, you can reach the Zolder Circuit by means of the E314 highway (Brussels- Aachen) exit 28 (Zonhoven – Heusden-Zolder).
Information for the Heusden-Zolder habitants
On Friday 11th October, the roads of the races will be closed as of 08.30 a.m. and they will be reopened about 04.30 p.m. Inside the track, no traffic will be allowed. If necessary, you will have to park outside the track. In the vicinity of the track, only local traffic is allowed. Your ID card will be accepted as 'right of passage'. For more information:
– Heusden-Zolder habitants can address to Eddy Cupers, Communication Officer of the Heusden-Zolder municipality: 011/53.73.71
– The Zolder Circuit neighbours can call the info line.
– For bus travellers (De Lijn), information is available from De Lijnwinkel: 011/85.03.03
UCI Ladies Take a Fashion Trip
Friday 11th October, Tourism Hasselt organises a fashion trip for the UCI ladies. First, they will visit the 'Fashion Prologue' exposition at the Hasselt Municipal Fashion Museum. Then, they will take the fashion route along the boutiques and afterwards, the group will visit couture Jeurissen at Hasselt. In the afternoon, they will go for a walk in the largest Japanese garden of Europe at Hasselt.
Friday 11th October, Hasselt partly becomes Siena. On the Green Boulevard or the Kleine Ring, the showpiece of Minister, Mayor and Hasselt habitant Steve Stevaert, the famous and the less famous will drive a spectacular bike race. The start will be given at the Kolonel Dusartplein at 06.00 p.m. Apart from the frivolous race, there will be music and other animation. Mister Hein Verbruggen and Mister Laurent De Backer will give the start signal.
Heusden-Zolder Habitants Explore Worlds Course
Friday 11th October, all Heusden-Zolder habitants will get the chance to explore the World Championship's track in group and by bike. In this way, they will personally experience the endurances from which the cyclists will suffer during the races. The medal winners of the time trial races will be in the lead of this trip. Mayor Tony Beerten as well as the Heusden-Zolder Sports Department will take part as well.