July 03, 2011 (Brampton, ON) – The 2011 IMMUNITY-FX Canadian Road Championships powered by Canaccord Wealth Management continued on Saturday with the presentation of the road races for para-cycling. Over 25 of Canada’s top para-cycling riders rode the 9-kilometer course under sunny skies and continued torrid and humid temperatures in Brampton, ON.
Each category rode different distances according to their abilities, but the spectacle was highlighted by the powerful and fast tandems, with both race finishing in sprint finishes after 90 kilometres of racing.
In the men’s tandem race, three tandems from Quebec captured the podium spots, with Daniel Chalifour and Alexandre Cloutier taking the highest Canadian honours in a sprint finish against long-time rivals Alexandre Carrier and Luc Dionne. The World Champion tandem of Robbi Weldon of Ontario and Lyne Bessette of Québec won women’s road race in another exciting finish against Geneviève Ouellette and Emilie Roy, both riding for Team Québec.
Matthieu Parent took the C1-C3 road race title, crossing the line first after circumventing a finish-line crash from Jaye Miley and Brayden McDougall, both of Calgary, AB, only meters before the end of the race. Milley was on his way to another Canadian title, but lost control of the bike in the sprint against his Calgary’s arch-rival and friend McDougall. Milley was transported to hospital to receive immediate medical attention, but suffered from limited injuries and is expected to fully recover quickly.
In the men’s hand bike race, Mark Ledo and Rico Morneau rode together for the majority of the race, with Ledo doing most of the work in the 3-lap break that lasted to the very end. With only half a lap to go, Ledo and Morneau lifted the gas pedal and lost their 2-minute lead that made for an exciting finish, with Ledo taking over the title in the last meters of the race.
Tomorrow (July 3) will be disputed the road races for the Junior and Master categories in the neighbourhood of Aldershot of Burlington, ON, concluding the 2011 IMMUNITY-FX Canadian Road Championships powered by Canaccord Wealth Management.
1. Daniel Chalifour/Alexandre Cloutier (Equipe Du Quebec) 2:05:05
2. Alexandre Carrier/Luc Dionne (Equipe Du Quebec) S.T.
3. Stephane Cote/Pierre-Olivier Boily (Equipe Du Quebec) +17:07
1. Robbi Weldon/Lyne Bessette (Ontario/Quebec) 2:03:08
2. Genevieve Ouellette/Emilie Roy (Equipe Du Quebec) S.T.
3. Melissa Boisvert/Audrey Sarrazin (Equipe Du Quebec) +0 :17
1. Matthieu Parent (Equipe Du Quebec) 1 :37 :58
2. Brayden Mcdougal (Bicisport) +2:34
1. Eric Bourgault (Equipe Du Quebec) 1 :58 :34
2. Mark Breton (Equipe Du Quebec) S.T.
3. Sébastien Bouchard (Equipe Du Quebec) +0 :03
1. Marie-Claude Molnar (Equipe Du Quebec) 1 :38 :33
1. Mark Ledo (Team Ontario) 1: 24:18
2. Rico Morneau (Equipe Du Quebec) +0: 04
3. Mark Beggs (Equipe Du Quebec) +0 :12
1. Dominik Maslanka (Bicisport) 52:56
1. Myriam Adam (Independant-Rp) 1:02:31
2. Karen March (Team Bc) +17:30