March 28 2006 – The PacificSport National Cycling Centre in Victoria, B.C. is looking for 15-18 year old female and male athletes who would like to see if they might have what it takes to become a national team cyclist.
By participating in these try-outs, you could win a $500 cycling scholarship to train with the PacificSport NCC for the 2006/2007 season. The top 5 female and 5 male athletes will be awarded a scholarship to go towards the NCC Bronze program tuition. Participants will be able to compare their results to Canadian Cycling Association test norms.
– Friday April 14, and Saturday, April 15 between 8 a.m. and 7 p.m.
– Sunday April 16, 10 a.m. Fun 3 hour ride.
– Friday and Saturday testing at the PacificSport Sport Performance Lab at the University of Victoria
– Sunday meets at PacificSport office parking lot.
– There will be a nominal $10 fee (payable at testing) to cover both the tests and ride on Sunday.
Do I need any cycling experience?
You do need some cycling experience, but you do not need to be a current bicycle racer. Athletes who have taken a MAP test previously through the National Cycling Centre are not eligible.
The Tests: (valued at over $150!!!)
Testing will take approximately 1 hour at the PacificSport Sport Performance lab and includes:
– Vertical jump test
– Maximum Aerobic Power test on our SRM* bike. This test will measure your power (watts) to weight (kilograms) ratio
– Body composition test
* SRM is used by the top countries and professional teams for testing and training
The PacificSport National Cycling Centre:
Home of many of Canada”šs current national team, and future Olympic cyclists offering training programs in Road, Mountain Bike, Track and BMX Head Coach Houshang Amiri has coached many National champions since joining the NCC in 1999
Contact Lisa Lynam or by phone at (250) 744-5531 to book your test time and for more information. Sorry, we can not be responsible for any accommodation and transportation. Directions will be provided with registration. Find out more about the National Cycling Centre at