August 13, 2006 (Snowmass, Colorado) — Katerina Nash (CZE, Luna Women’s Team) and Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (USA, Subaru-Gary Fisher) won the the Pro Men’s and Women’s Short Track XC Finals in Snowmass, Colorado. Canada’s Geoff Kabush (CAN, Maxxis) and Catharine Pendrel (CAN, Norco) were the top-placing Canucks in the race with second and eighth place rides, respectively.
In the women’s race, Susan Haywood (USA, Trek-VW) finished second, trailing Nash by five seconds. Dara Marks-Marino (USA, Titus-Kenda) was another three seconds back for third spot.
Kabush finished second in a sprint finish, followed by Jeremiah Bishop (USA, Trek-VW) six seconds back in third. Ricky Federau (CAN, Team R.A.C.E.) and Mathieu Toulouse (CAN, Maxxis) also powered into the top 10, with eighth and ninth-place results.
Kris Sneddon (CAN, Kona-Les Gets) and Matt Hadley (CAN, Rocky Mountain-Business Objects) finished 22nd and 23rd at one lap back.
The Short Track was part mountain-bike race and mind-game as riders jockeyed for position around the short, off-road course. The racing style appeals to even those with short attention spans, as spectators can see the entire race enfold from a single vantage point and the action is packed into under 30 minutes.
1. Katerina Nash (Cze) Luna Women’s MTB Team 27:04.18
2. Susan Haywood (USA) Trek/VW 27:09.18
3. Dara Marks-Marino (USA) Titus/Kenda 27:12.30
4. Georgia Gould (USA) Luna Women’s MTB 27:27.43
5. Shonny Vanlandingham (USA) Luna Women’s MTB Team 27:40.11
6. Jimena Florit (Arg) Luna Women’s MTB 28:02.14
7. Heather Irmiger (USA) Subaru-Gary Fisher 28:18.35
8. Catherine Pendrel (Can) Norco 28:28.47
9. Chloe Forsman (USA) Tokyo Joes/X-Fusion 28:39.91
10. Willow Koerber (USA) Subaru-Gary Fisher 28:44.71
1. Jeremy Horgan-Kobelski (USA) Subaru-Gary Fisher 25:59.37
2. Geoff Kabush (Can) Team Maxxis 26:00.59
3. Jeremiah Bishop (USA) Trek/VW 26:06.83
4. Todd Wells (USA) GT Bikes 26:38.97
5. Adam Craig (USA) Giant 26:50.57
6. Carl Decker (USA) Giant 27:02.65
7. Sam Schutz (USA) U23 National Team 27:05.89
8. Ricky Federau (Can) Teamrace.Com 27:08.52
9. Mathieu Toulouse (Can) Team Maxxis 27:30.36
10. Travis Brown (USA) Trek/FRS Plus 27:41.68
22. Kris Sneddon (Can) Kona/Les Gets Lapped
23. Matthew Hadley (Can) Rocky Mountain/Business Objects Lapped