November 01, 2013 – This year, CAAWS will be rolling out three fully revamped Women and Leadership Workshops – Communication, Conflict Resolution, and Influencing Change. Workshops are already scheduled at the Sport Leadership Conference in Calgary, and in partnership with Sport MB just prior to the PHE Canada Conference in Winnipeg. Stay tuned for other dates…
1. WISE Fund
Reminder: nominations for the WISE grants will be accepted starting November 18/13 so start preparing your thoughts about applying for this grant. Applications will be accepted between November 18 and December 6, 2013. For more information click here.
2. 2013 Marion Lay “Herstorical” Breakthrough Award – Call for Nominations
Through the years, CAAWS has celebrated many outstanding achievements and recognized the contributions that ‘break through’ traditional barrier and pave the way for girls and women to participate at every level.
Nominations are now being accepted for the 2013 Marion Lay “Herstorical” Breakthrough Award. The award is presented to an individual, group or organization whose distinct contribution has had a long-term impact (10 years or more) and significant influence on breaking down the barriers to equal participation for girls and women in sport and physical activity.
To obtain more information, consult the CAAWS website here.
The deadline for nominations is Friday, November 29, 2013.
3. CAAWS Lunch and Learn Events
CAAWS’ Lunch and Learn events are professional development and networking events that bring together women working and volunteering in Ottawa’s sport and physical activity community. Mark your Calendars to ensure you don’t miss this year’s inspirational speakers for the following dates:
• December 4th, 2013 – Karen O’Neill, CEO Canadian Paralympic Committee
• February 5th, 2014 – Speaker TBD
Sandra Gage, Chief Marketing Officer of the FIFA Women’s World Cup 2015, was our inspirational and enlightening speaker on October 16. Wonderful to have great leaders like Sandra share their experiences in sport!
4. Upcoming CAAWS Events
November 5, 2013
Addressing Homophobia in Sport Workshops – Calgary AB
• University of Calgary Athletic Dept.
• Canadian Sport Institute Calgary- Coaches
November 6, 2013
Addressing Homophobia in Sport Workshop – Calgary AB
• Canadian Sport Institute Athlete Services Managers session
November 7, 2013
CAAWS Women and Leadership Workshop – Influencing Change
November 17, 2013
Ottawa Senators – Women in Sport Game Day in partnership with CAAWS
Get tickets here:
November 30, 2013
Sports Day in Canada
• Catherine Gosselin-Després as new Executive Director of Sport for the Canadian Paralympic Committee
• Lorraine Lafrenière who returns to the Coaching Association of Canada (CAC) as new Chief Executive Officer
December 9, 2013.
• Canadian Paralympian Carla Qualtrough who becomes Vice President of the Americas Paralympic Committee’s Governing Board.
• Canada’s Olympic gold medallist Carol Huynh who has been elected as the chair of Wrestling Athletes’ Commission.
• Jodi Abbott, Karen Butcher and Karen Howard selected as Figure Skating judges for the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
• Inducted into BC Sports Hall of Fame:
– Kathy Shields – Basketball
– Dawn Coe-Jones – Golf
– Sandy Gilchrist, Anne (McDaniel) Linton and Marguerite Wahl from 1965 OCEAN FALLS AMATEUR SWIMMING CLUB
Become a fan of CAAWS on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter to stay “In the Loop”
on news stories, resources, funding opportunities, and more relating to
girls and women and sport and physical activity.