March 08, 2017 (Mississauga, ON) – Working for the City means you are part of something big, something special! You will be part of a team of engaging, enthusiastic and dedicated people that are committed to collaborating with one another to deliver on our commitment to the residents, visitors and businesses of Mississauga.
The Active Transportation Section is looking for two summer students to help deliver our new Bike Ambassador outreach program. As part of the Bike Ambassador outreach team you will execute a grass roots marketing and education campaign focused at getting more residents interested in cycling. You will attend community events, coordinate community bike rides, and do pop-up promotions across the city to interact with residents to encourage them to cycle more.
These are temporary positions from May 15, 2017 to September 4, 2017
Under the general direction of the Active Transportation Coordinator or designate, the successful candidate will perform the following:
– Represent the City of Mississauga at events throughout Mississauga to engage residents in a conversation about cycling provide them with available city resources and encourage them to cycle more.
– Execute Mississauga trail etiquette program throughout the City’s trail network, interacting with trail users and educating them about sharing the trail.
– Collect data, survey responses and feedback from events and prepare event report summaries.
– Coordinate onsite registration of Mississauga cycling advisory committee’s community rides, and participate in the rides as a ride marshal.
– Provide support to CanBike instructor lead education program.
– Track and maintain an inventory of display and promotional materials.
– Assist with various aspects of Active Transportation projects including the Mississauga Bike Challenge and Tour de Mississauga.
– Provide general administration support to the Active Transportation team as required.
– Perform other duties as assigned.
– Demonstrated passion for active transportation and cycling.
– Special consideration will be given to candidates that have previous, related experience in outreach and education as well as interest and/or experience in communications, public relations, and marketing and sales.
– Excellent communication skills (public speaking, presentations, writing) are required.
– Excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build and maintain relationships.
– Excellent organization and time management skills are required.
– Ability to work well in a team environment, and also independently.
– Demonstrated ability to apply excellent customer service skills with the public and City staff.
– Ability to work flexible hours including holidays, weekends, early mornings and evenings as required (up to 35 hours per week).
– Some heavy lifting will be required (30-50lb work-related equipment).
– Must have access to a bike in good working condition and physical ability to ride up to 25 kilometres per day.
– Must have ability to travel and provide own transportation and be comfortable working in multiple locations (use of own vehicle will be compensated at an established per km rate).
Apply Directly on the City of Mississauga’s mycitycareer.ca website here.
Note: These are temporary full-time positions, from May 15, 2017 – September 4, 2017
Hours of Work: 35 Hours per week
Hourly Rate: $15.71 – $16.96
Closing Date: March 16, 2017
Department: Transportation and Works Department/ Transportation and Infrastructure Planning Active Transportation Section
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, at his or her own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.