January 7, 2009 – Special Olympics Canada is seeking to fill the contract position of Nutrition Consultant and Podium Canada – Road to Excellence is looking for a full-time High Performance Advisor. Read on for more details on both of these positions.
Special Olympics Canada
Application Deadline: February 18, 2009
Starting Date: January 21, 2009
Position: Nutrition Consultant (Project Based Contract)
Special Olympics Canada is a national not for profit organization that is dedicated to enriching the lives of individuals with an intellectual disability through sport.
Special Olympics Canada is currently developing a Young Athletes program that is aimed at an audience 2-8 years of age. At this time the program is focused around a single one hour session that teaches fundamental movement skills to the young athletes and their participating family members. Pilots are currently running in communities across Canada with great success and strong support from the Special Olympics community. As this program grows Special Olympics Canada plans to provide additional resources to the parents/guardians in the form of a Nutrition Guide. This document would be included with the registration kit that all families receive and promote a healthy life-style as part of the program and at home. Special Olympics Canada is looking for a registered dietician or nutritionist to develop the material for a Nutrition Guide for the National Young Athletes Program. The position is a project based contract with specific deliverables and timelines.
For more info, click here (Word .doc)
Special Olympics Canada
60 St Clair Ave E
Toronto , ON, Canada
Tel. 416-927-9050, x228
Podium Canada – Road to Excellence
Position: High Performance Advisor (HPA)
Application Deadline: Friday, January 30, 2009
Starting Date: February/March
About Podium Canada
Podium Canada is the Canadian high performance sport leadership unit with the mandate of assisting winter and summer National Sport Organizations (NSOs) and others to prepare athletes for the Olympic and Paralympic Games. Podium Canada targets “excellence” funds to those sports or sport disciplines that can demonstrate they have medal potential for future Games. Podium Canada has two sport divisions, one for summer (Road to Excellence) and the other for winter sport (Own the Podium 2010). The Road to Excellence division is seeking two full-time individuals that are available immediately. These positions will be based in Ottawa, Ontario reporting to the Executive Director, Road to Excellence.
Purpose of the HPA Position
The Advisor will help NSOs create the training and competition environment that will give their athletes and coaches the greatest opportunity to win medals at the Olympic or Paralympic Games.
1. Extensive technical experience (coaching, HPD, sport science) at the Olympic/Paralympic and World Championship level — preferably in Summer Sports
2. Understanding and ability to create world class high performance training
and competitive environments
3. Experience and success in implementing high performance programs
geared towards World and Olympic/Paralympic podium finishes
4. Strong understanding and ability to integrate a multi-disciplinary approach to high performance athlete and coach development
5. Capacity to fluently speak and write French is required for one position and is an asset for the other
6. Excellent written and verbal communication skills
7. Ability to problem solve and resolve conflicts
8. Ability to work harmoniously as part of a very dynamic team
1. Work closely with the Technical Staff of assigned NSOs to help them identify and establish what is required for a world class training and competitive environment for athletes and coaches
2. Identify gaps within the NSO operations and facilitate finding solutions
3. Help sports prioritize areas of focus and then collaborate with them to develop and implement plans
4. Provide support and advice to HPDs, coaches and other technical staff on a day to day basis as required
5. Monitor and assess sports on an ongoing basis
6. Attend selected key events to establish a familiarity with and assess the implementation of high performance programs
7. When necessary, facilitate the resolution of internal conflicts that may be adversely affecting the ideal training and competitive environment for the athletes and coaches.
The compensation package will be based on the successful candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Apply in confidence by sending your cover letter and resume by Friday, January 30, 2009 to email@example.com or by mail to:
Road to Excellence
Re: High Performance Advisor
Suite 305, 150 Isabella Street
Ottawa Ontario, K1S 1V7
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
88 Canada Olympic Road SW
3rd Floor Hall of Fame
Calgary, AB T3H 4N7