Results of the Cadet Men’s Race
The Cadet men took to the region’s roads in the morning, maintaining a very fast pace over most of the course. Although several riders led attacks, the peleton managed to close the gap each time. One of the most active race leaders, Jonathan Brown of the American team Hot Tubes Junior Development, earned the red jersey of the most combative rider at the end of the race. Despite the many breakaways, the riders arrived at the finish line with the pack intact, and it was Cam Mason of Team Ontario who won the sprint, finishing ahead of Michael Storer (Team CHCH) and Pier-André Côté (Team Levis Subaru). So Mason donned the yellow jersey after the first stage, while Michael Storer (Team CHCH) took the green jersey for the best sprinter and Raphael Auclair (Team Lévis Subaru) took the dotted jersey for the best climber.
In the afternoon, it was Cadet and Junior women’s turn to ride the same 55.2-kilometre route. With both categories starting at the same time, the riders provided plenty of excitement throughout the race. Last year’s Tour champion and Canadian champion, Dafné Théroux-Izquierdo, was a frequent and aggressive race leader, earning her the red jersey of the most combative rider. The long “Queen of the Mountain” climb in the St- Anaclet sector provided an opportunity for a group of riders to break away from the main pack. After the climb, a group of three cyclists held a brief lead before being overtaken by eleven competitors. This group of 14 cyclists continued to build a substantial lead over the peloton as they approached the finish line.
Results of the Cadet Women’s Race
In the Cadet category, Audrey-Anne Dufresne of Infinit Canada / Cycle Power crossed the line first ahead of Americans Millie Tanner (Jet Cycling / Major Motion) and Emma White (Team CHCH). Because of bonus seconds acquired during the race, it was Emma White who donned the yellow jersey in the overall Cadet standings.
Among the Junior riders, Catherine Ouellette (André Cycle Kaycan RDS) crossed the finish line first, ahead of New Zealander Madison Campbell (Team Giordana-Pinarello) and American Kelly Catlin (Team Giordana-Pinarello). Catherine Ouellette also earned both the yellow leader’s jersey and the green sprinter’s jersey after the first stage. The dotted climber’s jersey went to Laurence Dumais (Espoirs Laval Primeau Vélo 1).
Tomorrow: Stage 2 of the Tour de la relève internationale de Rimouski!
Tomorrow, the Tour heads to Mont-Joli for the start of the second stage, an 80-kilometre road race with many climbs for a total elevation gain of 904 metres. The very hilly route follows roads in the municipalities of Mont-Joli, Sainte-Luce, Saint-Donat, Saint-Gabriel, Saint-Marcellin, Saint-Narcisse and Rimouski (Sainte-Blandine sector), with the finish line located at the official event site at the Saint-Pie X community centre on Boulevard Arthur-Buies in Rimouski.
1. Cam Mason (Can) Team Ontario G 1.21:56
2. Michael Storer (Can) Team CHCH 1
3. Pier-André Cote (Can) Levis Subaru cycling team
4. Laurent Gervais (Can) Primeau hopes Laval Bike 2
5. Jonathan Brown (USA) Hot Tubes Junior Development Cycling Team
6. Ian Keough (USA) Hot Tubes Junior Development Cycling Team
7. Edward Laparé-Morin (Can) Levis Subaru cycling team
8. Ethan Reynolds (USA) Hot Tubes Junior Development Cycling Team
9. Damien Urcel (Fra) Cycling Union Sportive de Guava 1
10. Charles Roy (Can) Cycling Club Amos
Full results here.
1. Catherine Ouellette (Can) André Cycle Kaycan RDS 1.32:42
2. Madison Campbell (Nzl) Team Giordana Pinarello
3. Kelly Catlin (USA) Team Giordana Pinarello
4. Audrey-Anne Dufresne* (Can) Infinit Canada/Cyclepower
5. Millie Tanner* (USA) JETCycling/MajorMotion green
6. Brenda Villarreal Garza (Mex) JETCycling/MajorMotion
7. Mackenzie Lemieux (Can) JETCycling/MajorMotion
8. Dafné Théroux-Izquierdo (Can) Espoirs Quilicot TRJ Télécom
9. Emma White* (USA) Team CHCH 3 black
10. Audrey Anne Blais (Can) André Cycle Kaycan RDS
Full results here.
1. Emma White (USA) Team CHCH 3 black 1.32:39
2. Audrey-Anne Dufresne (Can) Infinit Canada/Cyclepower 0:03
3. Millie Tanner (USA) JETCycling/MajorMotion green
4. Laurence Dumais (Can) Espoirs Laval-Primeau vélo 1
5. Danielle Mullis (USA) JETCycling/MajorMotion green 2:03
6. Béatrice Tardif (Can) Club cycliste de Beauce
7. Clare Holton (Can) Team Ontario F
8. Anne Lehoux (Can) Club cycliste de Beauce
9. Sandrine Brière-Dulude (Can) Espoirs Laval-Primeau vélo 1
10. Katherine Santos (USA) BorahGirls blue
Full results here.