November 21, 2011 – AthletesCAN is currently seeking an Interim Executive Director for a full-time maternity leave contract (up to 12 months). AthletesCAN has a simple but powerful vision of a Canadian sport system that empowers athletes to achieve their full potential on the field of play and beyond. Our mission is simple: As the collective voice for Canada’s national team athletes, we strive to ensure a fair, responsive, and supportive sport system; we provide valued programs and services to our members; and we develop effective athlete leaders. In fulfilling our mission, we believe in and foster a core set of values in all that we do – advocacy, community, excellence, and leadership.
Led by a committed group of current and retired national team athletes – AthletesCAN benefits from a rich history. Over the years, AthletesCAN has invested in leadership development opportunities. Through a deliberate investment in the building and strengthening of strategic partnerships, AthletesCAN has continued to pioneer innovative ways to ensure inclusive decision-making by informing, educating, and advocating for an athlete centered sport system; and more recently, worked to enhance the profile of national team athletes by equipping them with the knowledge they need and the platform they require to speak truth to power.
AthletesCAN serves an important and unique purpose in sport. There is a deep desire to see the organization grow, expand, and flourish. We are committed to becoming more purposeful about who we are and the difference we make for our members. We will do fewer things and do them exceptionally well. We will continue to provide our members with the programs and services they need to excel – both on and off the field of play. In so doing, we believe that this advances the Canadian sport sector as a whole.
In support of the objectives of AthletesCAN, the Interim Executive Director (IED) will provide management and direction on all aspects of the operation of the organization. The successful candidate will be a proven leader with excellent interpersonal and communications skills, who can work independently and as a team player, thrives in a dynamic work environment, is experienced in the management of a not-for-profit organization, is a passionate champion of amateur sport in Canada and embraces the values of AthletesCAN.
Strategic Areas of Focus
AthletesCAN recently unveiled its renewed strategic plan, 2011-2015. The goal of this strategic plan is to focus the organization’s assets in key areas over the next four years, continue to build capacity amongst members and staff to realize these objectives, and help the organization continuously adapt in today’s ever changing landscape. Specific to the strategic objectives of AthletesCAN in 2012 will be the implementation of a membership program, the development of online leadership resources and focus on sponsorship development; proven success and leadership in these areas will be considered an asset when reviewing potential candidates.
Application Deadline: December 4, 2011 at Midnight EST.
Starting Date: January 3, 2012
Position: Interim Executive Director
Location: Ottawa, ON
Type of Position: Full Time Maternity Leave Contract, up to 12 months
Reports to: Board of Directors
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
– Degree in sport administration, business administration, public policy, education or communication, OR an equivalent combination of education and experience.
– Experience in sponsorship, marketing and membership program development is an asset.
– Bilingual (preferred but not required).
– Excellent oral and written communication skills.
– Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail, the ability to multitask and meet tight deadlines with no impact on performance.
– Self motivated, proficient, and reliable.
– Possess the ability and eagerness to work within a team environment.
– Strong computer skills (Word, Excel, Outlook).
– Office and financial experience required.
– Experience working with a Board of Directors in a senior leadership position.
– Proven senior leadership experience with a not-for-profit organization is preferred.
– Comprehensive knowledge of the Canadian sport system.
– Demonstrated passion for high performance sport.
– Experience in high performance sport as an athlete, coach or an administrator is an asset.
– Proven ability to manage and oversee administration & operations, corporate finances, and human resources.
– Strong leadership skills and demonstrated ability to manage staff and work with volunteers.
– Experience as a senior manager leading complex, detailed and time sensitive projects.
– Political acuity to maintain effective relationships with senior level bureaucrats and political leaders.
– Extensive (5-10 weekends annually)
Interested candidates should e-mail their resume, cover letter and compensation expectations in PDF or MS Word format to:
Deadline for applications is December 4, 2011 at Midnight (EST). For more information about AthletesCAN please visit www.athletescan.com.
We thank all candidates who apply, only those to be interviewed will be contacted.