June 06, 2012 (Ottawa, ON) – Cycling Canada Cyclisme is proud to unveil the list of athletes who have qualified for the 2012 Olympic Selection Pool for women’s road cycling, a short-list group of riders from which the 2012 Olympic Cycling Team will be drawn upon.
“This is an incredibly exciting time for cycling in Canada. The air is supercharged going into the Olympics and with that we will have a team adding to the atmosphere,” said Denise Kelly, coach of the women’s program at Cycling Canada Cyclisme. “This is a very talented pool of athletes to choose from with the goal of reaching the podium. I feel very honoured to be the coach of the women’s team.”
Olympic Selection Pool – Women’s Road Cycling
– Julie Beveridge (Calgary, AB/ Vienne-Futuroscope)
– Karol-Ann Canuel (Amos, QC/Vienne-Futuroscope)
– Veronique Fortin (Montréal, QC/Tibco-To-The-Top) [Canadian Champion, Road Race]
– Clara Hughes (Glen Sutton, QC/Specialized-Lululemon) [Canadian Champion, Time Trial]
– Leah Kirchmann (Winnipeg, MB/Optum Kelly Benefits) [Canadian Champion, Criterium]
– Joelle Numainville (Montreal, QC/Optum Kelly Benefits)
– Denise Ramsden (Yellowknife, NWT/Optum Kelly Benefits)
– Rhae Shaw (Amherstburg, ON/Team Exergy TWENTY-TWELVE)
– Tara Whitten (Edmonton, AB/Tibco-To-The-Top)
Through the UCI Qualification process, Canada qualified three spots for the women’s Olympic road race and two spots of the women’s Olympic time trial race. According to UCI regulations, an athlete who wishes to participate in the time trial must have started the Olympic road race.
Athletes in the Olympic selection pool have all qualified as a result of their performances since the UCI Qualification Window has been opened. As per the approved Selection guidelines, the High Performance advisory committee of Cycling Canada Cyclisme, comprised of many specialists, will gather and proceed with the selection of athlete who will be nominated to the 2012 Canadian Olympic Team to represent Canada at the upcoming Olympic Games in London, UK.
The list of nominated athletes to the 2012 Canadian Olympic Team will be announced on June 21st at the 2012 COLD-FX Canadian Road Championships in Lac Mégantic, QC. More details will follow with media availabilities.
For more information on the selection protocol for road cycling, please click HERE