February 25, 2003 – For the second year in succession, Cycling BC aims to send a team of four women under the age of 25 to the Columbia Plateau Stage Races, one of the few point-to-point races in North America. The Stage Race (www.obra.org/columbiaplateau/race.htm), located in North-Eastern Oregon, boasts a combination of four very challenging stages (3 RR, 1 TT) over the course of a weekend. Riders are treated to demanding climbs, beautiful scenery, accommodations and plentiful food at the end of each stage.
Judy Latoski (firstname.lastname@example.org), coach of the winning BC Team entry in 2002 (Suzanne Macht), has once again agreed to lead this High Performance project, with assistance from Jeff Tvergyak (email@example.com). Hopeful BC Team athletes MUST participate in a series of selection events prior to the Stage Race. Selection events include a combination of the following:
1. Race Resume submitted to both Judy Latoski and Cycling BC, care of the Provincial Coach. Race resumes must be submitted no later than March 28th
2. Participation in two Spring Series events taking place March 8th (course 4) 16th (course 3) or 29th (course 4). Results must be forwarded to Judy or Cycling BC prior to April 4th. For more event info, please see www.escapevelocity.bc.ca.
3. Participation in the SISU BC Cup #1, Harris-Roubaix Road Race, April 13. For event details, please see www.trekvwracing.com.
4. Participation if the Race the Ridge Time Trial, April 20. For event details, please see www.mountainbikerides.com/race.
Note – All results must be compiled and submitted to either Judy Latoski, Jeff Tvergayk or Cycling BC by April 29th.
2003 Columbia Plateau Stage Race Selection Criteria:
1. Female athletes must be under the age of 25 as of December 31st, 2003 to be eligible.
2. Must hold a valid CCA/UCI Cycling license.
3. Three of the four athletes to be chosen for the project will be based on points earned from selection events. The remaining athlete will be determined based on “coaches choice”. The final team will be selected by the High Performance Sub-Committee.
4. Athletes do not have to participate in all selection events. They will, potentially, earn more points by doing more events. Athletes will receive at least one point for finishing a selection event.
5. Points from selection events will be distributed by the following scale. The placings pertain to BC Team candidates only, not to the overall finishing order of all female entrants.
1st – 10 points
2nd – 8 points
3rd – 7 points
4th – 6 points
5th – 5 points
6th – 4 points
7th – 3 points
8th – 2 points
If you are interested in trying out for the BC Team attending the Columbia Plateau Stage Race, please contact:
Judy Latoski, Project Coach, firstname.lastname@example.org, (604) 541-7617
Jeff Tvergyak, Assistant Coach, email@example.com, (604) 945-7169
Allan Prazsky, Cycling BC, firstname.lastname@example.org (604) 737-3137