June 16, 2009 – Hello hello – what an amazing weekend, our biggest race in Ontario’s history, 24 degrees and sunny, plus a brand new Super D course with a little more technical thrown in for good measure. This course started out with some classic single track, some rocky outcroppings and then led into the lower old DH course with a huge rock garden section that tested all followed by a new snakes and ladders filled with bar height berms!
In the women’s category we had a great race with tons of new riders to the sport. The mother daughter team was great to see with mom taking third Lesley Fisher (cycle solutions angry johnny’s ), Monika Luebke in second and Emily Fisher (cycle solutions angry johnny’s ) pulling out a great time for 1st place!
1. Emily Fisher Cycle Solutions/Angry Johnny’s Racing Unionville 6:29.380 25
2. Monika Luebke Mississauga 7:11.404 42.024 22
3. Lesley Fisher Cycle Solutions/Angry Johnny’s Racing Unionville 7:14.247
In the 30+ amateur category there was a huge field of competitors, everyone from first time ever racers to seasoned veterans. In 3rd place was Keith Thorarinson, local MTB movie maker Andrew Pieras took 2nd while a fellow on the 40+ side of things showed the kids what it was all about in 1st, congrats Tom McDonough (St. Catharines cycling club).
1. Tom McDonough St. Catharines Cycling Club St. Catharines 6:02.346 25
2. Andrew Pierias Burlington 6:13.180 10.834 22
3. Keith Thorarinson Etobicoke 6:25.709
As the pressure built everyone wondered who would take the 19-29 Open category, would it be on of the provinces fastest DH racers or an elite cross country rider…. Rob Fraser from Primary Trek (who won the Elite DH race) pulled out a solid third, with Jeff Faulds (Evolution Norco) sliding just past him for third but it was the XC elite racer John R Fisher (Cycle Solutions/Angry Johnny) that repeated and took 1st place.
1. John R. Fisher Cycle Solutions/Angry Johnny’s Racing Unionville 5:14.647 25
2. Jeff Faulds Norco – Evolution Team Toronto 5:35.660 21.014 22
3. Rob Fraser Primary-Trek Pickering 5:38.090
As Sunday rolled around the weather go even better with more sun and warmer temps! super buffed upper course full of berms, step ups and floaters led the riders into a maelstrom of rocks, roots and yes MUD!
In the Cadet (15-16yr) category, these youn guns should the crowd they could ride and ride hard with blazing times that would have put them in top ten Pro! In 3rd was the blond bomber Michael Oosterveld (Blue Mtn racing), just ahead of him was Nicholas Kesik (Silent Devinci) in 2nd place and Kyle (the man child) Sangers (j & J cycles) pulled out an amazing time for 1st
1. Kyle Sangers J & J Cycle Kingston 1:13.252 25 100.00
2. Nicholas Kesik Silent Devinci North York 1:14.594 1.342 22 98.20
3. Michael Oosterveld Blue Mountain Racing Waterdown 1:15.296
The 40+ category showed many a wee lad who is still boss with ridiculous times for men nearly upon their death beds (haha). Shane Joachim (cycle solutions) pulled out a great run for 3rd place, Greg (world champ!) Karges had a solid 1:20 for 3rd but it was Chris (I put out 1800watts) Fowlie who powered to a 6 second lead with a 1:14 (good enough for top ten pro) for 1st overall!
1. Chris Fowlie Impala Bicycles Brooklin 1:14.741 25 100.00
2. Greg Karges Ayr 1:20.384 5.643 22 92.98
3. Shane Joachim Cycle Solutions/Angry Johnny`s Racing Holland Landing 1:21.395
Can you say TIGHT!? That is the only was to describe this podium and the entire Pro field, less that .9 of a second between first and 3rd, wow if only Dean hadn’t eaten that twinkee for lunch. In 3rd was Zac (i jump over snakes for a living) Tatem (trek store race team), only a shaving in front of him for 2nd was Dean (i shouldn’t have eaten that twinkee) Tennant (Primary Trek) but as the last rider crossed the line the tension was palpable and Rob Fraser (Primary Trek) squeeked out a nail biter for 1st place
1. Rob Fraser Primary-Trek Pickering 1:09.072 25 100.00
2. Dean Tennant Primary-Trek Sidney, British Columbia 1:09.324 0.252 99.64
3. Zachary Tatem Trek Store Race Team Toronto 1:09.950
We can’t thank enough our amazing support staff, Lee Allen, Kris Somers (MC/DJ), Allan Hawley and his timing staff, Ski Pro Patrol and staff (Kris and John), Kelso staff (Kevin, Simon, Roger, barb) and of course the amazing volunteers and sponsors:
Cycle-Solutions.com Bike Store, Lapierre Bikes, Norco Performance Bikes , Kenda Tires, Titec Components, Dropmachine.com, POC Protection, Harveys, Fatlip clothing, Industry Bike park, Ontario Cycling Association and X-Fusion shocks.
For all results and Ontario Cup DH/4X racing info go to www.sirbikealotracing.com.