November 23, 2013 (Shawnigan Lake, BC) – I was dropping the trailer off at Shawnigan Lake Schoool yesterday morning and reminded of our 2009 race there. Really looking forward to being back tomorrow. Later in the day I was sorting the prizes for the race and the series final and I started adding things up a bit:
– $2,200 – Youth Grants sponsored by Patrick Burnham, Tyler Trace, Victoria Cross Club, Pro City Cycling, Binab Property Group GP, Vista Estates.
-$2200 – Adult Series Prizes sponsored by: Phillips Brewery, Saltspring Coffee, Cycles Lambert and COTR.
-$2000 – Youth Series Prizes sponsored by: OBB-Nanaimo, Tripleshot Cycling Club, Robert Cameron law, Trail Bicycles, Trek Pro City, RUMBLE, and Phillips Brewery (Not Beer)
-$1400 – Series GRAND DRAW PRIZE:. Frame from Naked Bikes complete with PRO Handle bar, stem and Seatpost (All built and ordered for you)
-$1200 – Series GRAND DRAW PRIZE: Wheelset from Zed Wheels
-$800 – Series Grand DRAW PRIZE: Wheelset from Zed Wheels
-$500 – Draw Prizes for Hotel Rooms at the Howard Johnston
-$1500 – Race Prizes for COTR#6 including something like 8 hemets, tools, random stuff. Sponsored by ALL THE BIKE SHOPS in Duncan; Cowichan Cycles, Experience and Cycle Therapy.
-$1085 – 7 Pairs of Pearl Izumi Shoes for prizing tomorrow from Frontrunners-Nanaimo and Pearl Izumi.
-Around…….say $1500-$2000 other random draw prizes from all out awesome sponsors and supporting shops.
So what is the total about?
That adds up to around $13,000 worth of cash and prizes we are giving out tomorrow at the awards.
$13000!!!! This has got to be the biggest cross race prizing day in the history of Canada!!!
One “catch”. You gotta be there to collect and we are not hunting anyone down afterwards. Not there to collect….it goes into the pot to give out!!
Oh Yeah we also have about $200 worth of Nutcase Helmets and Bells to give away at the ‘Lil” nutty kids race too!!
You could say we have a few “extras” locked and loaded. Be there to find out!!
– I have not done the draw for sending feedback from the Kona Kup or My Little Pony. Will do it tonight so if you want to send and get entered into the draw…..do it today before 6:00
– Rock Star Registration closes at 6:00pm today. Ronde Van Hogwarts Series Championship here.
– Check out the submissions for our photo contest on our Face Book Page. We had 53 submissions and finished Round 1 of judging last night. Tonight Round 2 happens with 3 famous sports photographers judging for photo of the year.
– While you are on Facebook you might as well change your profile to a shot of you in a COTR race!
– Who would you vote “Most Improved” this year? We have our finalists…..who will it be?
– See everyone tomorrow! Bring someone new (or someone that has not raced for a while).
Ronde Van Hogwarts. Laste Ronde!
Three things to remember for this weekend.
2. Make it to the start line.
3. Make it to the finish line.
As we all know the cross season is WAY too SHORT. There is a LONG-LONG time between now and the next cross race on Vancouver Island (actually we might be having a cross race in June…so stay tuned on that one). So come out and support the series. Have a great time. Finish the season right. The snow and REALLY bad weather will be here soon enough and we will all be dreaming of cross again too quickly.
We were last at Shawnigan Lake School way back in 2009 for the series championships. The following year we were scheduled to finish the series at Shawnigan again but we had a snow storm dumping about a meter of snow in that area and a bunch of their buildings were out of power….it was a mess….so we had to cancel the finals. We are looking forward to returning again to finish off the series this year.
A few BIG rules about the venue;
1. This is a private school. Please as always respect the venue and that we are guest here. Park where directed.
2. Do not ride on the playing fields.
3. No shoes in the club house. Bring indoor flip flops or warm socks for the awards afterwards….we will have the fire going.
Last time we were at Shawnigan in 2009 the category winners were:
Beginner Women: Mary Wakefield
Beginner Men: Liam Farrar
Intermediate Men: Geoff Pendrel
Masters Men: Justin Mark
Open Women: Mical Dyck
Expert: Craig Richey.
There are some notable names in the results that year here.
Here is the word from Ian Craib the event director for this event (with notes from me added as well):
Both Cycle Therapy and Experience Cycle have agreed to support the event and donate prizes
Norco will be donating prizes
Bonterra Pizza will be providing food and beverage support. PIZZA!!!!!!!
Oak Bay Bikes (WestShore and Victoria), the principal sponsor of Cross on the Rock has agreed to help where needed
Fernwood Inn will be providing some draw prizes.
Course by Drew Mackenzie: has been approved by the school.
Cleaning station and Shower facilities will be available
The Pavilion will be used for registration and awards ceremony – NO SHOES
Chopper will be the DJ/Announcer (drummer mechanic from Experience)
Duane M. will be attending to do the
Students are aware of the event but since it is a “leave weekend” (campus will be almost empty of any students and staff)
We will be doing the event awards and then series awards right after the event in the Pavilion Building.
MAP of the venue is in the series guide.
Check out the series points. Roland has done the series points up with the DROP (lowest score) so that you can see where you stand….and who you need to beat this weekend here.
There are some TIGHT battles in there!
Get NAKED for 2014
If you want to be riding one of these sweet rigs….you already have to be thinking a head to NEXT COTR season.
Check Sam’s bike out this weekend. You will want one….I know I do!!
Series is Organized by the Cross Council:
With the following cycling clubs: MIVA, VICC, Trail Bicycles-Eatmore Sprouts Cycling Team, Cowichan Cycling Cartel, ASS and AVR
Oak Bay Bikes in Victoria, Westshore and Nanaimo
Trail Bikes in Courtenay
Experience cycles in Duncan
Cowichan Cycles in Duncan
Cycle Therapy in Duncan
Frontrunners in Nanaimo
Straight Up Cycles in Victoria
Dodge City Cycles in Cumberland
Ozzie’s Cycles in Port Alberni
Supported and Sanctioned by:
For more on Cross on the Rock click here.