April 6, 2006 (Vancouver, B.C.) – Look for the Coast Capital Savings logo on the familiar yellow and black Symmetrics jersey and helmets in the coming weeks — Canada’s number one pro cycling team today announced it has inked a deal with the B.C.-based credit union that will have a major impact on Canadian cycling.
Coast Capital Savings will be a co-sponsor of the Symmetrics team for 2006, with an option for a further two-year commitment extending to 2009. Symmetrics Cycling co-owner Kevin Cunningham said with an already positive early season start — including stage wins and top placings in Mexico, Brazil, California and Canada — the rest of the year and the long-term future look even brighter for the Symmetrics Cycling Team.
“It’s a substantial deal and a major step in the team’s four-year evolution that will further ensure the increased growth and development of Canada’s top riders,” Cunningham said. “We have always dreamed big and having Coast Capital Savings on board will be a tremendous aid in enabling Canadian athletes to succeed at races here in Canada, like the National Championships, and in international events like the road and track world championships in the next few years, not to mention the 2008 Beijing Olympics.”
Although this will be Coast Capital Savings’ first professional cycling venture, the company is not new to supporting cycling. As part of its commitment to the community, Coast Capital Savings is a sponsor of the highly successful Cops for Cancer fundraiser, an initiative in which police teams ride across British Columbia’s Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island to raise money for cancer research and young cancer survivors.
“Team cycling is a great sport to support because it closely mirrors the values that make us a successful company,” said Lawrie Ferguson, senior vice president, marketing, Coast Capital Savings. “It’s a sport that requires a lot of individual discipline and training, but come race day, it requires team work and that’s a remarkably similar reflection of our business approach.”
The Symmetrics Cycling team will be competing in several races this year including the Bastion Square Grand Prix in Victoria, Westside Cycling Classic, Tour de White Rock, Tour de Gastown and the Tour de Delta.
Symmetrics Cycling is a group of 18 world class professional Canadian athletes based in B.C.’s Lower Mainland. The team competes throughout Canada as well as internationally and has an impressive record of six national titles and 12 provincial titles. Symmetrics Cycling includes former Olympians and members of Canada’s World Championship team and aims to foster the athletic and personal growth of the next generation of Canadian Olympic athletes.
Coast Capital Savings is Canada’s second largest credit union with $8.2 billion in assets, 340,000 members and 47 branches across the Lower Mainland and Vancouver Island. The credit union was the first full-service financial institution to introduce free chequing in Canada. Coast Capital Savings is ranked among the 50 Best Employers in Canada by the Globe and Mail’s Report on Business magazine in a survey conducted by Hewitt Associates. The credit union was also named by Imagine Canada for the second straight year as the best corporate citizen in Canada’s financial services industry.
For more information about Coast Capital Savings, visit www.coastcapitalsavings.com
For more information about Symmetrics Cycling and to view complete race schedules, visit www.symmetricscycling.com.
More about Symmetrics Pro Cycling Sponsors
– Symmetrics — Data Analysis Software —
– Coast Capital Savings – Credit Union – www.coastcapitalsavings.com
– Westlam — Concrete forming plywood — www.westlam.com
– Northern Feather — Bedding products — www.nfdreammakers.com
– Norco — Bicycles & Accessories — www.norco.com
– Shimano — Bicycle Components, Wheels and Footwear — www.shimano.com
– Sugoi — Race, training & Casual Clothing — www.sugoi.com
– Ritchey — Bicycle Components – www.ritcheylogic.com
– Rudy Project – Technical Gear (EyeWear & Helmets) – www.rudyprojectusa.com
– Panaracer — Tires – www.panaracer.com
– Powerbar — Nutrition Products – www.powerbar.ca/en/index
– Axiom — Bicycle Accessories – www.axiomgear.com
– Minoura — Cycling Trainers — www.minoura.jp/index-et.html
– Pharma Pacific — Altitude Simulators – www.pharmapacific.com/
– Performance Health — Chiropractic, Massage, ART – www.performancehealth.ca
– Sock Guy — Custom Team Socks — www.sockguy.com
– Refresh — Energy Drink – www.netdsm.com/refresh