April 2, 2011 (Ottawa, ON) – April is the month of the European Spring classics, and Canada’s women will be on the start lines once again this year. Six women have been chosen to wear the maple leaf while racing across Belgium and Holland. Some have already tested themselves against the best women in the world at these classics last year and will no doubt share their experiences with the newcomers.
Whether it is over the cobbles in Drenthe, Netherlands or up the surprising hills of Belgium, each of the races has challenges the riders are looking forward to conquering.
The team will be staying at our European National Team base in Tielt-Winge, Belgium between races.
Several other Canadians will also be racing in Europe during this time, notably Joëlle Numainville and Erinne Willock, both racing for Team TIBCO.
April 3: Tour of Flanders, UCI World Cup
April 4: Grand Prix de Dottignies, UCI 1.2
April 7-10: Van Lauwerszee tot Dollard tour, UCI 2.2
April 14: Drenthe 8, UCI 1.1
April 16: Ronde van Drenthe, UCI World Cup
April 17: Ronde van Gelderland, UCI 1.2
April 23: EPZ Omloop van Borsele WE, UCI 1.2
April 24: Grand Prix Stad Roeselare, UCI 1.1
April 29 : Grand Prix de la Ville de Luxembourg, Team Time Trial
April 30: Grand Prix Elsy Jacobs, UCI 1.1
May 1: Grand Prix Nicolas Frantz, UCI 1.1
– Joanie Caron (Rimouski, QC)
– Julia Garnett (Saskatoon, SK)
– Leah Guloien (Port Moody, BC)
– Leah Kirchmann (Winnipeg, MB)
– Anne-Marie Morin (Sillery, QC)
– Alison Testroete (Vancouver, BC)
– Jenny Trew (Calgary, AB)
– Vincent Jourdain (QC) Head Coach, Road
– Denise Kelly (ON) Development Coach, Women’s Endurance
– Matthew Knight (ON) Road Coordinator, Canadian Cycling Association
– Julien Remo (QC) Mechanic
– Michel l’Hoest (BE) Soigneur