August 25, 2010 (Quebec, QC) – In anticipation of the 2010 Grands Prix Cyclistes à Québec et à Montréal, two races on the UCI ProTour calendar, a new and spectacular cycling discipline will be held on Thursday, September 9, 2010. The “Challenge Sprint” consists in a series of sprints between four cyclists, with a single elimination process in order to determine the best road sprinter. Sprints will take place over the distance of one kilometre, as if it was a finish sprint at the end of a road race.
The main objectives behind this new event are to develop a new and exciting race designed for cycling fans, which format will fit perfectly for TV production, as well as providing the best Canadian sprinters with an opportunity to compete in the context of a short and spectacular event.
The 2010 UCI ProTour Grands Prix Cyclistes is also a great opportunity to present this new concept to UCI Pro Tour team managers and athletes.
16 riders will participate in this event. Four waves of four riders will constitute the qualifying round (quarterfinal). The composition of the waves will be determined according to the strength of the riders, in order to have balanced waves.
The first two riders of each wave will advance to the next round (semi-final), whereas the riders who finished third and fourth in their respective waves will be eliminated. The first two riders of each wave during the semi-finals will advance to the grand final, whereas the riders eliminated in the semi-finals will participate to the consolation final.
A total of $5,000 in prize money is up for grabs for riders.
List of Confirmed Competitors – Challenge Sprint
– BRITTON, Rob – Victoria, BC – (BISSELL Pro Cycling)
– ROLLIN, Dominique – Boucherville, QC – (Cervélo TestTeam)
– BOILY, Pierre-Olivier – Sherbrooke, QC
– HOULE, Hugo – Sainte-Perpétue, QC – (Garneau-Club Chaussures-Ogilvy Renault)
– COSSETTE, Stéphane – Chicoutimi, QC – (SpiderTech powered by Planet Energy)
– PAPILLON, Arnaud – Longueil, QC – (Équipe du Québec)
– ST JOHN, Derrick – Cornwall, ON – (Garneau-Club Chaussures-Ogilvy Renault)
Challenge Sprint Schedule
– 3:30pm Warm-up at the Parc des Champs de bataille (Plaines d’Abraham)
– 4:50pm Presentation of the 16 cycling on main stage
– 5:00pm Start of competitions
– 5:25pm Semifinals
– 5:45pm Finals
– 5:55pm Podium ceremonies