The 2011-2012 season comprises of four World Cup events throughout the winter, starting with Astana, Kazakhstan. Then the top track cyclist in the world will travel to Cali (COL), Beijing (CHN), and London, (GBR). The season culminates in April with the presentation of the 2012 UCI Track World Championships in Melbourne, Australia, the last international track cycling event prior to the Olympic Games.
The team heading this upcoming weekend to Astana to kickoff the season features a mix of experienced and developing athletes.
Monique Sullivan of Calgary, AB has proven last season that she is ready for a big year, showing consistency throughout last season. The young rider from Calgary will be racing in the women’s sprint events, an event where it’s all about sheer power and high velocity.
The Men’s Team Sprints will feature Travis Smith of Calgary, AB, Joseph Veloce of Fonthill, ON and Hugo Barrette of Cap-aux-Meules, QC.
The team will also be joined by Jasmin Glaesser of Coquitlam, BC. Glaesser will be competing in the Omnium and Women’s Team Pursuit (WTP) and is coming off a recent Pan American Games gold medal in the Women’s Team Pursuit. Glaesser will be joined by Gillian Carleton of Victoria, BC and Julia Bradley of Toronto, ON in the WTP. Carleton will also be competing in the points race.
CANADIAN TEAM – UCI TRACK CYCLING WORLD CUP, ASTANA, KAZ
– BRADLEY, Julia (Toronto, ON) – Women Team Pursuit
– CARLETON, Gillian (Victoria, BC) – Women Team Pursuit, Points Race
– GLAESSER, Jasmin (Coquitlam, BC) – Women Team Pursuit, Omnium
– SULLIVAN, Monique (Calgary, AB) – Women Sprint, Keirin
– BARRETTE, Hugo (Cap-Aux-Meules, QC) – Men Team Sprint
– SMITH, Travis (Calgary, AB) – Men Team Sprint; Men’s Sprint
– VELOCHE, Joseph (Fonthill, ON) – Men Team Sprint