November 19, 2016 (Sufferin, NY) – Canada’s newly minted national champ Maghalie Rochette (Clif Pro Team) added another big win to her resume taking the Elite Women’s victory on day one of the Supercross Cup UCI Weekend at Rockland Community College in Sufferin, NY, round #3 of the Vittoria Northeast Cyclocross 2016 Series.
New this year to the Vittoria Northeast Cyclocross Series presented by Cycle-Smart, Supercross Cup featured technical off-cambers mixed into a flowy grass track.
Rochette established her lead early, taking charge of the pace from the beginning of the first lap. Rochette, Anthony, and Rebecca Fahringer (Amy D. Foundation) would establish significant gaps, leaving the rest of the field to duke it out for fourth place. The three would maintain their positions from lap one and remain there until the finish.
Group racing would rule the day in the Elite Men’s C2 race, with Jack Kisseberth (JAM/NCC) overtaking Curtis White (Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com) in a sprint finish as group tactics would come into play until the very final turns. Derrick St. John (Van Dessel p/b Hyperthreads) led the Canucks in the men’s race finishing 6th with Jeremy Martin (Focus CX Canada) 7t.
Kisseberth played it smart to hold on for his first UCI win. “That was the deepest I’ve gone in a race. My stomach was not doing too good and Curtis (White) was drilling it. (Travis) Livermon was drilling it. I didn’t think I was gonna hang for most of it but it worked out. Thank God the finish was after a downhill, because those guys were drilling it up the hills. The sprint into the finish is pretty short, so I knew after pit two if you’re leading that you’re gonna win the race. I knew I had a gap, I checked a little earlier and it was probably a couple seconds, five seconds, that’s all you need really.”
Second place White retains the Vittoria Series overall lead and currently sits third in the ProCX Men’s individual standings.
This is the fourth year for Supercross Cup in Rockland County, New York, and the first year at the new venue at Rockland Community College.
Results (brief )
1. Maghalie Rochette (Can) Clif Pro Team 45:45:00
2. Crystal Anthony (USA) Maxxis-Shimano Pro Cyclocross 0:34
3. Rebecca Fahringer (USA) Amy D Foundation 1:28
4. Kathryn Cumming (USA) Jalapeno Cycling 1:51
5. Courtney Patton (USA) 1:58
7. Natasha Elliott (Can) Garneau – Easton Cycling 2:16
20. Julie van der Hoop (Can) MIT Cycling Team p/b Thoughtfor 5:33
1. Jack Kisseberth (USA) JAM/NCC 1:01:14
2. Curtis White (USA) Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com 0:01
3. Travis Livermon (USA) Maxxis-Shimano Pro Cyclocross 0:17
4. Cooper Willsey (USA) Cannondale p/b Cyclocrossworld.com 0:27
5. Todd Wells (USA) SRAM-Troy Lee Designs Racing Team 0:31
6. Derrick St. John (Can) Van Dessel p/b Hyperthreads
7. Jeremy Martin (Can) Focus CX Canada 0:50