February 07, 2017 (Ottawa, ON) – Cycling Canada is pleased to announce the teams that will represent Canada at the final two rounds of the UCI Track World Cup in late February. Round 3 of the World Cup will take place in Cali, Colombia on February 17-19, followed one week later by the World Cup final in Los Angeles, California, on February 25-26.
Canada will send a full men’s and women’s sprint squad to both events, led by Rio Olympians Kate O’Brien of Calgary, AB, and Hugo Barrette of Iles de la Madeleine, QC.
On the endurance side, Canada will send a women’s squad to both events, but not the men’s team, who competed in the first two rounds of the World Cup, winning the Team Pursuit in Apeldoorn, Netherlands and finishing third in Glasgow, Scotland.
At the final round in Los Angeles, Brown and Roorda will be joined by two more members of the Rio squad – Jasmin Duehring [Vancouver, BC] and Kirsti Lay [Montreal, QC] – plus Rio alternate and current national road champion, Annie Foreman-Mackey [Kingston, ON]. In addition to the Team Pursuit, riders will compete in the Madison, Scratch Race and Individual Pursuit. Selections for the individual events will take place closer to the event dates.
“Our men’s track endurance program, in the first two World Cups, have set the bar with a third place and a win in the Team Pursuit events, and so it will be interesting to see what our sprint and women’s track endurance programs can come up with; keeping in mind of course that Tokyo is still 1,260 days away.”
– Kate O’Brien – Calgary, AB [Cali, Los Angeles]
– Amelia Walsh – Ayr, ON [Cali, Los Angeles]
– Ariane Bonhomme – Gatineau, QC [Cali]
– Laura Brown – Calgary, AB [Cali, Los Angeles]
– Jasmin Duehring – Vancouver, BC [Los Angeles]
– Annie Foreman-Mackey – Kingston, ON [Los Angeles]
– Kinley Gibson – Edmonton, AB [Cali]
– Steph Roorda – Vancouver, BC [Cali, Los Angeles]
– Kirsti Lay – Montreal, QC [Los Angeles]
– Joel Archambault – St-Christine, QC [Cali, Los Angeles]
– Hugo Barrette – Iles de la Madeleine, QC [Cali, Los Angeles]
– Stefan Ritter – Edmonton, AB [Cali, Los Angeles]
– Patrice St-Louis-Pivin – Sherbrooke, QC [Cali, Los Angeles]