November 25, 2011 – The True Sport Foundation announced today its Call for Nominations for the 39th Canadian Sport Awards (CSA). Canadian Sport Awards Recognize Canada’s Top Athletes, Coaches and Corporations for 2011. The nomination period begins today and closes on Monday, December 19, 2011. Canada’s definitive event for honouring and recognizing sport achievements will award recipients based upon accomplishments between January 1 and November 30, 2011.
“Canadian athletes work incredibly hard all year round to achieve their personal best and represent our country on the world stage, and the Canadian Sport Awards are the ideal forum to recognize these athletes,” noted Peter Leyser, Executive Director, True Sport Foundation. “Not to be overlooked are the tremendous contributions made by coaches, leaders, volunteers and corporations for the crucial support they provide Canadian sport throughout the entire year.”
Finalists for each CSA award will be announced on January 9, 2012 with the winners being announced on January 17, 2012.
Official nomination forms can be downloaded from www.canadiansportawards.ca for:
– Junior Athlete of the Year
– Corporate Excellence Award
– Leadership in Sport Award
– Volunteer Achievement Award
– Athlete Leadership Award
– Spirit of Sport Story of the Year
The Athlete Performance Awards (Male, Female, Team, and Partners of the Year) will be seeded by the Top 8 results published by Sport Canada, therefore no nomination forms are required.
Canadian sport organizations, media and the general public are encouraged to nominate their sporting heroes for their passion, achievement and contribution to Canadian sport in 2011.
“The Canadian Sport Awards are an annual institution and a great honour for the sport community,” says Leyser. “One of the highlights is the incredible and compelling stories we learn about our athletes, coaches and their seemingly insurmountable challenges. We look forward to sharing these stories with the public through our popular “Spirit of Sport Story of the Year” Award”.
Any Canadian citizen can nominate an individual, team or corporation for the Canadian Sport Awards. Individuals and corporations can also self-nominate. Eligible entries are for performances or contributions from January 1, 2011 through to November 30, 2011.
Submissions must be received at the True Sport Foundation no later than 5:00 p.m. E.S.T., Monday, December 19, 2011. Late submissions will not be accepted.
Completed ORIGINAL submissions should be sent to:
True Sport Foundation
CSA Selection Advisory Committee
350-955 Green Valley Crescent
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K2C 3V4
38TH CANADIAN SPORT AWARDS (Categories and Winners in 2010):
– Male Athlete of the Year: Alexandre Bilodeau
– Female Athlete of the Year: Christine Nesbitt
– Junior Athlete(s) of the Year: Beach Volleyball (under 21 Garrett May/Sam Schachter)
– Team of the Year: Men’s Olympic Hockey Team
– Partners of the Year: Scott Moir/Tessa Virtue – Ice Dancing
– The Corporate Excellence Award recognizes and celebrates a corporation’s outstanding contribution to the betterment of sport: Suncor/Petro Canada
– The Leadership Awards recognize and celebrate an individual’s outstanding contribution to the betterment of sport: John Pickett
– The Spirit of Sport Story of the Year category recognizes and celebrates Canadian heroes who, in the pursuit of sporting excellence, have demonstrated values such as fairness, inclusion, perseverance, sportsmanship, respect for others, and a true love of sport. The 2010 winner was: Joannie Rochette