March 05, 2012 (Sacramento, CA) – The North American Handmade Bicycle Show continued its increasingly successful run with what many exhibitors at the Sacramento Convention Center for the annual show, March 2-4, regarded as the most vibrant and well attended in the event’s 8-year history.
More than 8,100 people attended NAHBS this year, easily surpassing the 2011 record of 7,300. Several of the 171 exhibitors expressed relief that the throngs of attendees, who exhibitors said displayed a good knowledge of bicycles and a positive attitude toward the products on display, were not quite so great on Sunday’s final day as they had been on Saturday.
NAHBS founder and president, Don Walker, said, “This has been an uplifting and an emotionally significant show for me. I left Sacramento under a cloud many years ago, but now not only do I feel at peace with my hometown but also I am very grateful for the tremendous welcome the handmade bicycling community has received here. The three days of NAHBS have included such an intense flurry of associated cycling activities and events, and media attention, it is clear to anybody paying attention that Sacramento is a major and significant cycling center, and it has been an outstanding host city for NAHBS.”
The 2013 NAHBS is scheduled for 22-24 February in Denver, Colorado.
This year the NAHBS Awards took a different format that resulted in more builders receiving recognition for great work. Up to three builders per category received an award.
The following is the list of award winners:
- BEST CYCLOCROSS BIKE: 611 Bicycle Co.
- BEST CARBON FRAME: Alchemy Bicycle Company
- BEST STEEL FRAME: Bishop Bikes
- BEST LUGGED CONSTRUCTION: Bishop Bikes
- BEST FILLET CONSTRUCTION: Bishop Bikes
- BEST EXPERIMENTAL BIKE: Black Sheep Fab.
- BEST TIG CONSTRUCTION: Black Sheep Fab.
- BEST OF SHOW: Cherubim by Shin-Ichi Konno
- PRESIDENT’S CHOICE: Cherubim by Shin-Ichi Konno
- BEST ROAD BIKE: Demon Frameworks
- BEST STEEL FRAME: Ellis Cycles Inc.
- BEST CITY BIKE: Ira Ryan Cycles
- BEST TANDEM BIKE: Kent Eriksen Cycles
- BEST TITANIUM FRAME: Kent Eriksen Cycles
- BEST CYCLOCROSS BIKE: Moots
- BEST CITY BIKE: Muse Cycles
- BEST MOUNTAIN BIKE: Naked Bicycles
- BEST ALTERNATIVE MATERIALS FRAME: Paketa Magnesium Bikes
- BEST MOUNTAIN BIKE: Pereira Cycles
- BEST TRACK BIKE: Rebolledo Cycles
- BEST MOUNTAIN BIKE: Retrotec-Inglis Cycles
- BEST ROAD BIKE: Rex Cycles
- BEST CITY BIKE: Shamrock Cycles
- BEST TITANIUM FRAME: Steve Potts Bicycles
- ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: Stinner Frameworks
- BEST EXPERIMENTAL BIKE: Ti Cycles Fabrication
- PEOPLES’ CHOICE: University of the Fraser Valley
- BEST FINISH: Vendetta Cycles
The Gates Carbon Drive Frame Design Contest featured as part of the NAHBS program for the first time this year. Winners of the inaugural contest comprise:
- 1st place: NAKED BICYCLES
- 2nd place: RETROTEC-INGLIS CYCLES
- 3rd place: TI CYCLES