June 28, 2008 (Vancouver, BC) – The BC Bike Race (BCBR), “The Ultimate Singletrack Experience”, is an epic seven-day mountain bike stage race that runs approximately 550km from Victoria to Whistler. In only its second year the BCBR has attracted over 400 racers, with significant international representation. Included in this year’s ranks are past and current World Champions and Olympians. In fact one Canadian Olympian, Victoria resident Seamus McGrath, is using the BCBR as his final preparation for the Beijing Games.
The BCBR is set to roll from June 28th-July 4th and Vancouver Island’s prestigious Shawnigan Lake School, sequestered behind the “˜Gates of Excellence’, is hosting both the registration and the first stage of the race. Here are some the top riders who will be on the start line:
Seamus McGrath (Can)
– Canadian Olympic Team Member 2004, Training for Beijing 2008.
– Team Felt, Team Canada, partner Chris Shepherd – long time Canadian National Team Member
Chris Eatough (US)
– 6 time 24 hour World Champion and Winner of the inaugural BC Bike Race (2007).
– Team Trek, partner Jeff Schalk
Tinker Juarez (US)
– Current 24 hour World Champion and mountain bike legend.
– Team Monavie-Cannondale, partner Mitchell Peterson
Max Plaxton (Can)
– 2006 Bronze Medal World Championships Espoir, 2 x World Champion Relay, Pan American Champion Espoir.
– Team Rocky Mountain Bikes, partner Andreas Hestler
Andreas Hestler (Can)
– Canadian Olympic Team Member 1996, 3 x Trans Rockies Champion, 5 x Canadian Title Holder.
– Team Rocky Mountain Bikes, partner Max Plaxton
Marvin Campos (Costa Rica)
– Winner of La Ruta de los Conquistadores (2003), Winner of La Ruta de los Conquistadores 12 hours (2004).
– Team La Ruta – Economy Rent-a-Car – Super Pro, partner Manuel Prado
For more information www.bcbikerace.com.