September 14, 2005 – Single-digit temperatures and a weekend of driving rain limited numbers at this year’s Alberta Provincial Road Race Championships, held 30 kilometres south of Calgary near Davisburg.
The soggy, cold, windy weather resulted in the cancellation of the nearby Bowness Nationals Mountain Bike race, and show-jumping events at Spruce Meadows; it didn’t, however, stop the 36 riders who did show up to race. Rides of the day belonged to the Master A duo of Steve Soldan (Independent) and Keith Bayly (Deadgoat), who put nearly eight minutes into a lethargic peloton, with Soldan prevailing at the finish.
Thanks to Jim Oldham and the Calgary Crankmasters (www.calgarycycling.com) for their efforts organizing the race.
Master A Men
1. Stever Soldan (Ind.)
2. Keith Bayly (Deadgoat)
3. Steve German (The Bike Shop)
Master B Men
1. Peter Toth (ERTC)
2. Zbigniew Szymanski (United Cycle)
3. Rob Reid (CrankMasters)
Master C Men
1. Wayne Long (United Cycle)
2. Paul MacDonald (United Cycle)
3. Michael Zelensky (Terrascape)
Master D Men
1. Steve Sampson (Crankmasters)
Master B Women
1. Carolyn Soules (Crankmasters)
Master E Men
1. Peter Bigg (Edmonton Masters)