February 28, 2013 – You may have seen some exciting things around the internet and heard whispers among riders that something big was happening with the Specialized Enduro. We are officially launching the all-new Enduro 29 today and we want to share the information with you.
There are two main reasons we created the Enduro 29.
1. The Enduro scene is growing with many riders wanting the best bike that gives them confidence in the challenging terrain of this All-Mountain experience. Whether this means racing on the emerging Enduro World Series or seeking adventure in the mountains, the Enduro 29 is up to the task.
2. The Specialized way of making a 29er is unrivaled. We make the best 29ers because of our attention to detail and we bring riders what they want. A 29er in the All-Mountain category was thought to be impossible because of the challenges with fit, geometry, and weight. We have figured it out and it further propels our 29er story by having:
- Low slung, roomy top tube for standover with a short head tube to keep the bar height in the correct position.
- The numbers don’t lie; this is the shortest 29er chainstay we have ever made. Combined with a wheelbase that is only 6mm longer than a 26″ Enduro, you get a snappy-handling ride.
- The S-Works weighs in at less than 28 pounds (12.7kg)!
In 1999, the Enduro changed riding: the first mountain bike engineered to not only crest the most technically challenging climbs, but also capable of navigating the mountain’s most aggressive descents. The original Enduro threw conventional wisdom out of the window, and history has repeated itself with the Enduro 29.
From technical back-country journeys to stage racing through a mountainside—the Enduro is built to answer the call of adventure. By incorporating our World-Championship-winning 29er pedigree with the Enduro’s and All-Mountain-tuned FSR suspension we’ve created the most capable 29er on the planet.
Look closely at the Enduro 29. We’ve engineered a production 29er with 155mm of rear wheel travel; while also specifically tuning our AUTOSAG-equipped FSR suspension to soak up big hits at speed, yet provide trail bike-like pedaling performance. The “X-Wing” frame features dialed All-Mountain 29 Geometry, chainguide mounts, and internal Command Post cable routing.
Enduro-style racing has grown in popularity across North America and Europe, and for good reason—the events are awesome! To conquer these physically demanding courses a rider needs an agile, mid-travel full-suspension machine that pedals efficiently for out-of-the-saddle sprints and uphill sections of trail, but has spot-on geometry for aggressive descending. Our all-new Enduros are designed to give these riders the ideal machine for these events, while taking the bike-choice guessing game out of the equation. The choice is Enduro—with a wheel size for every riding style.
This is very exciting for all of us at Specialized. We are dedicated to making the best bikes and equipment for riders while continuing to innovate to make that happen. The Enduro 29 embodies these ideas. The notion of a 29er like this was thought impossible but we knew this would benefit the riders and worked to bring this bike to reality.
Thanks for your continued support and business. We hope you enjoy the Enduro 29!
More info about the Specialized Enduro 29, including specs and geometry, HERE.