November 10, 2012 (Louisville, KY) – The Trek US Gran Prix of Cyclocross p/b Greenware® and WD-40 Bike raced into Louisville, KY for the third stop of the 2012 Series. Raced under unseasonably gorgeous conditions, spectators enjoyed a thrilling day of racing on what was a preview of the 2013 UCI Cyclo-cross World Championships which will be contested in Louisville on Feb 2 and 3rd.
In the Elite Women’s race, Trek Cyclocross Collective rider Katie Compton took the hole shot and never looked back. Katerina Nash (LUNA) in her USGP season debut made a strong return to racing, over-coming the back issues that had plagued her early season,finishing a strong second ahead of her teammate Georgia Gould who rounded out the podium. Behind them the battle was fierce with Helen Wyman (Kona) and Julie Krasniak (Rapha-FOCUS) and Pepper Harlton (Juventus) trading blows while Kaitlin Antonneau (Cannondale p/b CyclocrossWorld.com) picked her way methodically through the field after a bad start to finish strong sixth place
In the men’s race, Zach McDonald (Rapha FOCUS) took the hole shot ahead of Ben Berden (Raleigh Clement) and Danny Summerhill (United Health Care). The front of the race was dynamic with multiple lead changes and attacks until Ryan Trebon (Cannondale Clement) and Jeremy Powers (Rapha Focus) powered away from the rest of the field with 5 laos to go. Behind them Tim Johnson (Volkswagen/People for Bikes/ Cannondale) overcame a terrible start to join the leaders Berden, Summerhill, Adam Craig (RaboBank) and Justin Lindine (Redline). With two to go Powers and Trebon were side by side. With one to go, Powers attacked and never looked back crossing the line well clear of Trebon in second. Behind them, Craig attacked early but it turned out to be too soon and Summerhill sprinted past him to claim the third step of the podium. Powers tightened his grip on the series overall lead.
Racing resumes tomorrow morning at 8am. Admission is free for spectators. River Road will be closed from Frankfort Avenue to Eva Bandman Park Parking for the event will be on River Road beginning at the Frankfort closure east.
1. Katie Compton (Trek Cyclocross Collective) 39:51
2. Katerina Nash (LUNA)
3. Georgia Gould (LUNA)
4. Helen Wyman (KONA)
5. Julie Krasniak (Rapha-FOCUS)
6. Kaitlin Antonneau (Cannondale p/b CyclocrossWorld.com)
7. Pepper Harlton (Juventus)
8. Teal Stetson Lee (LUNA)
9. Crystal Anthony (CyclocrossWorld.com)
10. Carmen Small (Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies)
11. Mical Dyck (Stans No Tubes)
17. Emily Batty (Subaru-Trek)
1. Jeremy Powers (Rapha Focus) 59:34
2. Ryan Trebon (Cannondale / Clement)
3. Danny Summerhill (UnitedHealthCare)
4. Adam Craig (RaboBank)
5. Ben Berden (Raleigh Clement)
6. Tim Johnson (Volkswagen/People for Bikes/ Cannondale)
7. Justin Lindine (Redline)
8. Brian Matter (RACC pb GG)
9. Allen Krughoff (Raleigh Clement)
10. Zach McDonald* (Rapha Focus)
20. Adam Morka (Trek Canada)
24. Evan McNeely* (Specialized Canada)
Full results click HERE.