September 26, 2012 (Toronto, ON) – Assist the Director, Sport in the development and successful execution of the strategies and plans for the sport function of the Toronto 2015 Pan/Parapan American Games Organizing Committee (“TO2015”), taking into consideration the requirements for the key areas of sport competition, sport operations/services, sport presentation, and Parapan integration and planning.
Each Senior Manager will be assigned a group of sports for both the Pan and Parapan American Games and, for the designated sports, will be responsible to ensure the sport competition and test events are delivered within scope, on time and to the required International Sport Federation (IF) or International Paralympic Sport Federation (IPSF) technical standards.
Foster strong and meaningful relationships with key sport stakeholder groups, including but not limited to Provincial Sport Organizations (PSOs), National Sport Organizations (NSOs), International Sport Federations (IFs), International Paralympic Sport Federations (IPSFs), Sport Organizing Committees (SOCs), the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC) and the Canadian Paralympic Committee (CPC).
Key Job Responsibilities
Sport Competition For the designated sports, effectively plan, organize, manage and ensure the flawless delivery of all elements of the test event and sport competition programs for both the Pan and Parapan American Games, ensuring that they are organized and conducted in accordance with IF or IPSF rules and regulations:
- Work with the Director, Sport and the relevant SOCs to create an effective sport delivery model, including both staff and volunteer components
- Manage the documentation and collection of key sport competition information
- Manage the operation of the competition field of play, athlete warm-up and preparation area at the sport venue and designated training venues
- Oversee the development and finalization of the sport test event, training and competition schedules in relation to identified sport specific competition elements and are reflective of IF, IPSF, venue, marketing, broadcast and logistical considerations, where applicable
- Provide sport specific input and requirements into the venue planning and operations for each competition and training site
Sport Operations/Services For the designated sports, ensure the effective delivery of the required operations/services for athletes, coaches, and officials for each sport:
- Oversee the management and coordination of the sport entries, official timing, scoring and results programs, including working with Information Technology in the selection and implementation of timing/scoring/results system requirements for each designated sport
- In conjunction with the IF technical delegate(s) and the SOCs confirm the sport and technical equipment required for each sport competition and training venue, oversee the management and coordination of the procurement process, and ensure all sport competition assets are properly secured and maintained
- In conjunction with the IF and IPSF technical delegates and the SOCs oversee the management of the identification, selection and support of the technical officials required to deliver the sport competitions
- Assist with the preparation of the TO2015 sport competition manual and technical handbook and other relevant publications and operational documents and ensure that all NOCs and NPCs receive the technical manuals for each designated sport, within the prescribed timelines
- Responsible for the coordination and delivery of the required IF and IPSF technical delegate visits for their designated sports
- Play an integral role in the organization and implementation of briefing sessions for all staff, IF/IPSF representatives, SOCs, technical officials and volunteers prior to the commencement of the sport competition
Sport Presentation Assist in the development and implementation of the in-venue entertainment program to provide a consistent and high quality spectator experience, ensuring integrated planning with the Ceremonies, Host Broadcast and Venue Management functional areas for each designated sport.
Parapan Integration and Planning Work closely with the Parapan Integration and Planning function to ensure a Parapan planning focus within all functional areas throughout all planning phases within each designated sport.
Sport Operations and Team
- Contribute to the development and management of all aspects of the operating budget for the overall sport program and each designated sport, provide regular forecasts and reporting on results and regularly identify operational and financial efficiencies, as appropriate
- Establish, manage and deliver relevant sport competition milestones and project plans and related reporting in line with the Games wide project plan
- Recruit, motivate and manage a team of approximately 2 – 5 full-time professionals, as well as the required volunteers, to develop them into highly effective contributors and ensure excellent interdepartmental relationships
- Contribute to the development of sport specific policies and procedures and ensure all Games wide policies and procedures are implemented at Games time
- Prepare written and statistical material for inclusion in the official final report for the Toronto 2015 Sport Program
- Provide regular updates, reports and communication to the Director, Sport
Internal Contacts All levels of staff and management, including:
- Sport Organizing Committees (SOCs), Anti-Doping, Medical Services, Sport Presentation, Venue Management
- Finance, Information Technology and Procurement
- Infrastructure, Overlay and Operations
- Human Resources
- Suppliers and vendors
- Relevant government agencies, departments, and ministries
- Key sport stakeholders and partners, including PASO, IPC, COC, CPC, IFs, IPSFs, NSOs, PSOs, NOCs, NPCs, etc.
- University degree or diploma, ideally within sport or event management
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the world of sport competition at the provincial and national level for able-bodied athletes and athletes with a disability, including medical services and venue operations; international knowledge would be an asset
- Significant event management experience in a supervisory role with provincial and national sport organizations in planning and executing a major sport event (preferably multi-sport); international experience would be an asset
- Project management experience, ideally within the sport sector
- Sound knowledge of and proven practical experience in planning, budgets, cost control management and resource allocation
- Knowledge of PSO, NSO, IF and IPSF roles and responsibilities, as well as the Ontario and Canadian sport systems
- Contract development, negotiation and management experience
- Passionate about sport and its contribution to society
- Strong business acumen, sense of stewardship and high level of integrity
- Strong planning and analysis skills combined with innovative problem solving skills; able to size up and solve problems quickly and effectively
- Results oriented with a sense of urgency; exudes a “can do” attitude
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective at building and managing effective relationships with senior leaders and key stakeholders and handling complex problems and conflicts
- Strong team leadership skills with a focus on coaching, mentoring, and providing feedback to staff and volunteers to optimize their performance
- Able to operate in an ambiguous, fast paced, complex environment without significant structure or definition and effectively balance competing stakeholders and agendas.
- Careful attention to detail and quality
- Track record of successfully working in a multi-cultural, team-oriented, collaborative environment
- Excellent written, oral, and interpersonal communication skills
- Bilingualism (English/French) and/or the ability to communicate (oral and written) in Spanish a significant asset
Diversity TO2015 is committed to employment equity and encourages applications from Aboriginal people, people with disabilities, members of visible minority groups and women.
Application Process If you wish to apply for this position, please submit your resume through our Employment Opportunities section of our TO2015 website: www.toronto2015.org. Please ensure you reference this position when completing your application.
You may access French or Spanish versions of this posting by selecting these languages when you first enter our website.
More info at www.toronto2015.org