September 16, 2012 (Abbotsford, BC) – ‘Dutch army’ riders Twan van Gendt and Laura Smulders took top honors at the final stop of the 2012 UCI BMX World Cup series in Abbotsford. Aussies Sam Willoughby and Caroline Buchanan won the overall 2012 UCI BMX Supercross World Cup Series.
In a star-studded final Van Gendt pulled of his first ever win in a World Cup event. The fast Dutchman had a great start and won the ‘holeshot’. Van Gendt seemed unthreatened after most of the favorites crashed in the first turn. It was a big pile up with Tory Nyhaug (CAN) Connor Fields (USA) and Barry Nobles (USA). Sam Willoughby tried to catch up with Van Gendt after that but the Dutchman, who recorded the fastest lap time in the series, rode of to victory unthreatened. With that result Van Gendt also rocketed up to 3rd overall in the 2012 UCI BMX Supercross World Cup series.
Laura Smulders on the other hand was in the right place at the right time. The Olympic bronze medalist saw the initial leaders Caroline Buchanan (AUS) and Brooke Crain (USA) go down in the first turn and then Smulders was close behind Lauren Reynolds (AUS) who was chasing Felicia Stancil (USA) who was in the lead to win the race. For some reason the last two riders crashed on the third straight and gave the victory to a jubilant and very surprised Laura Smulders.
1. Twan van Gendt (NED) 30.181
2. Sam Willoughby (AUS) +0.612
3. Brian Kirkham (AUS) +2.868
4. Tory Nyhaug (CAN) +11.704
5. Barry Nobles (USA) +12.268
6. Connor Fields (USA) DNF
7. Anthony Dean (AUS) DNF
8. Nicholas Fox (NZL) DNF
1. Laura Smulders (NED) 35.197
2. Kirsten Dellar (AUS) +0.976
3. Abby Taylor (GBR) +1.587
4. Merle van Benthem (NED) +1.608
5. Caroline Buchanan (AUS) +32.399
6. Lauren Reynolds (AUS) +38.925
7. Felicia Stancil (USA) +40.814
8. Brooke Crain (USA) +1:04.454