August 02, 2012 (Knottingley, West Yorkshire) – Securing his first win of the season, Jamie Sparling led a dominant performance by the Team Raleigh-GAC squad in Sunday’s (July 29) 144km/90-mile BBM Revolution round of the Yorkshire Road Race League over a new course in West Yorkshire.
Sparling outsprinted team-mate Bernie Sulzberger after 13 laps of the Gatesnorth circuit with Graham Briggs completing a clean sweep of the top three places 19 seconds later at the expense of Herbalife interloper Kit Gilham.
Stiff crosswinds on the exposed, pan-flat circuit saw the field split in the opening miles with a 13-strong group forming at the front and including all six Raleigh riders.
They led by a minute after 15 miles, and although the chasing bunch worked hard to keep it at that for the next 55 miles, the elastic snapped as the Raleigh riders lifted the pace at the front and began to attack.
The first four riders were clear going into the final lap as the front group split, and further attacks saw Sulzberger go clear with 27-year-old Sparling who proved strongest in the charge for the line.
1. Jamie Sparling (Team Raleigh-GAC)
2. Bernie Sulzberger (Team Raleigh-GAC) @ same time
3. Graham Briggs (Team Raleigh-GAC) @ 19 sec
4. Kit Gilham (Herbalife-Leisure Lakes Bikes.com) @ same time
5. Simon Holt (Team Raleigh-GAC) @ 1:23
6. Matt Holmes (Team Raleigh-GAC) @ 1:55
7. Matt Sumpton (RST RT) @ 2:12
8. Martin Ford (In-Gear Quickvit Trainsharp RT) @ 3:27
9. Liam Holohan (Team Raleigh-GAC)
10. Tom Barras (Metaltek-Scott) all @ same time