May 02, 2012 (Mississauga, ON) – Midweek tried a new idea of having designated “Race Police” embedded with the racers in the first race. The reasons were several. Those who were so designated were all NCCP certified coaches or very solid riders with years of experience with the Midweek Learn to Race Program, and were present not to scold people, but also to offer tips and advice.
Also, on task was to make sure that racers belonging in the second race did not interfere with the first race. It seems that this may be a good plan, the first race was very steady. It was not an easy race, but was probably the smoothest first race yours truly has seen at Midweek ever. We had many racers in their very first race ever, and many doing the Midweek Criterium race for the first time.
The first race was 30 minutes and was steady and hard. There were no breakaways, and many who started were in the race until the end.
The first race finishers queued up thusly:
1. Luke Vanlauwe (Soigneur Race Services)
2. Candice Vermeulen (Fcv Invita)
3. Woody Marrouch (Kallisto/Wheels Of Bloor)
4. Elvis Sergo (Ind)
5. Jason Grosse (Real Deal/La Biccicletta)
The second race was a few kph faster, and had about twice the number of racers. It was a fast race, the wind was minimal, the temperature tolerable. There were many breakaway attempts, but none gained more than a few seconds. The peloton was not willing to let anyone escape. The final was a large bunch sprint, that was won by last week’s runner up, Chris Firek.
1. Chris Firek (Wheels Of Bloor)
2. Peter Morse (Occto-Cervelo)
3. Yuri Hrycaj (Occto-Cervelo)
4. Unknown Rider
5. Stan Blazek (Kurzawinski Coach)
6. Andy D’Angelo (Kurzawinski Coach)
7. Scott Bentley (Sound Solutions)
8. Sergio Cuneo (Ind)
9. Michael Mandel (Real Deal/La Biccicletta)
10. Marc Booth (Vinylbilt Windows)
Please note that we do the best we can to ascertain the finish order. If you can account for discrepancies from this published list, please share your evidence with us.
Thanks a bunch and we will see you next week.